Visual Resources Curator
Job posted to this site on September 6th at 9:38am
Application Deadline: October 1st 2022
The Visual Resources Curator will manage and develop the Visual Resources Center (VRC) and its collection of visual materials related to art, architecture, and visual culture in all formats. They are a member of the Digital Initiatives department within the University Library, report to the Head of Digital Initiatives, and work closely with the Digital Asset Coordinator, the Art History & Visual Resources Librarian, and the faculty, students, fellows, and staff affiliated with Art and Art History and the broader Wesleyan community.
Digital Initiatives manages Wesleyan University’s digital collections, including the digital and analog images in the visual resources collection, which support the teaching and research of the University’s faculty.
The VR Curator provides assistance to Wesleyan faculty and students in all aspects of research, teaching, and learning with visual materials. They implement forward-looking practices in building and providing access to visual materials, including enhancing digital access to the collections and promoting and supporting the use thereof.
- Manages all aspects of the Visual Resources digital media and analog slide collections
- Proactively and collaboratively engages in long-range planning and implementation for visual resource collections, facilities, and services
- Curates image collections that reflect current and developing curricular and research needs; seeks to expand collections in ways that build and honor diverse representations of artists, subjects, and materials; regularly evaluates existing collections for currency and alignment with curriculum
- Catalogs and publishes digital objects to library platforms; applies innovative methodologies for efficiency in metadata creation
- Serves as project leader for content transfers and processing from varied acquisitions sources, and communicates regularly with constituents about the status of the work
- Serves as the Artstor/JSTOR Forum administrator and engages with vendors and peer institutions on best practices for those tools
- Recommends platforms, tools, and databases for visual resources that best facilitate teaching and scholarship using the collection
- Assists faculty and students in integrating visual resources in lectures, presentations, course websites
- Provides instruction and research support for faculty and students working with visual materials and interested in the scholarly use of images as related to research, copyright, and visual literacy
- Promotes visual resources services and collections materials
- Stays up-to-date within the field and seeks to apply continuous improvement to VRC and Digital Initiatives workflows and processes
- Performs additional duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree in a related field and at least 2 years’ related experience working with image collections OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
Experience creating descriptive metadata
Knowledge of curating image collections
Awareness of of diversity and equity in visual resources and an understanding of how that might be applied to curating representative and well-rounded image collections
Demonstrated ability to manage projects, plan and execute workflows, track progress, and meet deadlines and objectives
Experience with digital asset and content management systems
Self-directed with a proven ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively
Demonstrated ability to learn and implement new software, technologies, and technical standards
Effective communications skills with the ability to present information and ideas to various audiences
Demonstrated commitment to work within a diverse environment and interact collegially with individuals of different backgrounds
Knowledge of cataloging and metadata schemas for visual culture and art related
Experience working with Artstor/JSTOR Forum and/or Islandora
Working knowledge of image copyright issues
Special Instructions to Applicants
The position is open until filled. For full consideration please apply by October 1, 2022 when first review of applications will begin.
$50,800 - $59,500 yearly
Application URL or Email
Submit specified application materials to email@example.com.