Visual and Performing Arts Librarian
Job posted to this site on November 9th at 3:28pm
Application Deadline: December 8th 2022
Queens College Libraries (QCL), City University of New York, seeks to hire a full-time, tenure-track Librarian for a Visual and Performing Arts Librarian position, at the rank of an assistant professor or an instructor. The Visual and Performing Arts Librarian will focus on supporting student success by developing innovative approaches to instruction, outreach, and collection development in the areas of Art, Music, and Drama, Theater & Dance.
A public services position reporting through an Associate Librarian, the Visual and Performing Arts Librarian will be a partner and resource contact for faculty and students in the Queens College School of Arts and Humanities. This position will work with faculty to provide course-integrated library instruction in support of student learning outcomes.
Additionally, the Visual and Performing Arts Librarian will oversee both the Music Library, located on two floors in the Aaron Copland School of Music, and the Art Collection, located on the sixth floor of the main library building.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Engage in outreach to maintain a strong relationship between the library and the visual and performing arts departments, as the subject specialist for the Art, Music, and Drama, Theatre & Dance departments.
- Provide course-integrated instruction to support the majors and programs in the Departments of Art, Music, and Drama, Theater & Dance in the School of Arts & Humanities.
- Design and implement creative strategies and materials to provide library instruction within these majors and programs.
- Take an active, innovative approach to developing and expanding existing and new collections in Art, Music, and Drama, Theatre & Dance, selecting relevant materials, and increasing the diversity of these collections
- Create digital and physical exhibits showcasing library resources in the visual and performing arts, working with the Head of Special Collections and Archives, and collaborating with other members of the library faculty as appropriate.
- Oversee both Art and Music collection spaces and staff, including full-time and part-time staff and student workers.
- Participate in virtual and in-person reference and research assistance, library instruction initiatives such as English 110 instruction, collection development, and other programs within the library.
- Work collaboratively and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equity, and inclusiveness within QCL and the QC campus.
- Represent QCL interests on various local, regional, and national committees. Develop a record of professional engagement and peer-reviewed scholarship or creative work.
- Perform other professional duties as needed by the QCL department; schedule may include some evenings and weekends to meet user needs.
All titles require a Master's in Library Science (MLS), Master's in Library Information Studies (MLIS), or closely related discipline from an ALA-accredited institution. Also required is the ability to work with others for the good of the institution. For appointment as Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor, a second graduate degree is required.
Additionally this position requires an undergraduate or graduate degree in the visual arts, performing arts, multimedia studies, or music.
- Graduate degree or graduate coursework in progress in the visual arts, performing arts, multimedia studies or music.
- Three or more years of related experience in librarianship within the visual arts, performing arts, multimedia studies or music.
- Familiarity with resources and research strategies in the visual and performing arts.
- Familiarity with digital tools and technologies in the visual and performing arts. Familiarity with building diversity in art, drama, and music collections.
- Experience working with diverse student and faculty populations.
- Familiarity with information literacy best practices and standards, especially as they relate to the arts.
- Experience managing staff and student workers.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to foster a collegial work environment.
- Strong record of participating in scholarly conversation via publications, presentations, etc.
Assistant Professor Salary Range: $72,667 - $93,134
Instructor Salary Range: $60,061- $74,417
CUNY offers a competitive compensation and benefits package to its faculty, covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
Salary schedules are available on our union website (https://psc-cuny.org/salary-schedules/). Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Health Plan Coverage for Employees Hired on or after October 1, 2022 -- City of New York employees and employees of participating employers and their eligible dependents hired on or after October 1, 2022 will only be eligible to enroll in the EmblemHealth HIP HMO Preferred Plan and must remain in the HIP HMO Preferred Plan for the first year (365 days) of employment.
After 365 days of employment, the employee will have the option of either remaining in the HIP HMO Preferred Plan or selecting a different health plan within 30 days before the end of the 365th day period.
If a new health plan is selected, the new plan will be effective on the 366th day.
Only after the 365th day can the employee participate in any Annual Fall Transfer Period. An employee who needs to request an exemption from the required enrollment in the HIP HMO Preferred Plan can do so by submitting a HIP HMO Opt- Out Request Form to EmblemHealth. An employee, or eligible dependent, must meet certain criteria and the request must be approved by EmblemHealth before the exemption is granted. The HIP HMO Opt-Out Request Form and HIP service area are available on the EmblemHealth website.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing this job posting on any website other than CUNYfirst, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to cuny.jobs
- In the box under "job title/ keyword", enter " 25682 "
- Click on "Visual and Performing Arts Librarian (Instructor or Assistant Professor)"
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions.
Please note that the candidates must upload a cover letter describing related qualifications and experience, resume, and the name and contact information of three (3) professional references in any of the following formats: .doc, .docx, or .pdf format.
**Please use a simple name for the document that you uploaded, for example: JDoeResume. Documents with long names cannot be parsed by the application system.
Candidates will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID- 19 upon commencing employment. Exemption (medical or religious) requests to this requirement will be considered in accordance with applicable law. Being fully vaccinated is defined for this purpose as being at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day of employment.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
LocationQueens College, 65-30 Kissena Blvd., Flushing, NY 11367
$60,061 - $93,134 yearly
Application URL or Email
Submit specified application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.