User Services Librarian
Job posted to this site on August 24th at 8:22am
The User Services Librarian is a library faculty position providing front-line reference and consultation services, and high quality and friendly service to all library users. The User Services Librarian serves as liaison between the Access Services and USER Services Divisions of the Library, and between the library and several university departments. Functionally the incumbent will report to the Associate Director for USER Services. The ideal candidate will have a strong customer service orientation, communication and analytical skills, and solid reference, instruction, and searching capabilities.
Salary Range: $55,000 – $59,000
- Provides reference service and consultation to onsite and remote library users;
- Acts as liaison to multiple academic departments;
- Triages questions effectively to other librarian liaisons and subject specialists;
- Provides orientations to new users; develops and teaches appropriate training workshops;
- Provides support for interlibrary loan (ILL) service, including participation on the ILL Committee;
- Promotes the library’s role in and participates on systematic review teams;
- Maintains the functionality of the library facility ensuring a suitable study environment for library users, handles user requests, and facilities and equipment issues;
- Maintains and updates library policies;
- Creates web pages (LibGuides) related to library services and resources;
- Participates in library communications, public relations and development activities;
- Serves as a member of the Collection Development team;
- Develops new and innovative service and instruction delivery methods;
- Implements special projects, new hardware, and software as appropriate;
- Trains Access Services and other staff as appropriate;
- Participates in Library programming and exhibits;
- Completes monthly, annual and special reports for the department and library as needed;
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science (MLS) from an ALA-accredited library school;
- Basic reference experience, including web development, PubMed searching, etc.;
- Demonstrated computer and technical literacy;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and a strong customer services orientation;
- Flexibility and ability to manage competing priorities and deadlines.
- One year library experience, preferably in an academic (particularly academic health sciences) environment;
- Instructional experience;
- Knowledge and expertise using health sciences databases, Koha, Excel, ILLIAD, DOCLINE, OCLC, and basic educational media equipment;
- Basic supervisory experience, particularly in a team environment.
Touro College and University System provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and is committed to ensuring a productive and non-discriminatory work environment in compliance with the Higher Education Act and Amendments, the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Violence Against Women Act (“VAWA”), the New York State Education Law, New York Human Rights Law and other applicable laws. It is the policy of the Touro College and University System to prohibit unlawful discrimination in employment on the basis of race, religion, sex, color, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, pregnancy, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws.