Technical Services Librarian
SUNY Maritime College
Job posted to this site on September 5th at 10:51am
Application Deadline: November 4th 2023
Technical Services Librarian
SUNY Maritime College
About SUNY Maritime College:
SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
The Stephen B. Luce Library at SUNY Maritime College seeks a forward-thinking and collaborative Technical Services Librarian to join a highly engaged team. The successful candidate will oversee all technical services aspects of the library collections including cataloging, processing, and collection development. The collections include the main collection of the Stephen B. Luce Library, the Ship's Library, and the Maritime Heritage collection. This position will work closely with the Discovery & Electronic Resources Librarian and Acquisitions & Resource Sharing Specialist.
• Lead library's efforts in developing and maintaining a current library collection that serves the needs of the SUNY Maritime College community through selection, processing, and deselection of materials
• Perform original cataloging and import vendor-ready records for books, serials, and government documents
• Create and maintain collections policies and workflows
• Process incoming print donations in conjunction with the Library Director
• Work closely with the Acquisitions and Resource Sharing Specialist to order and receive print and electronic content within the library's materials budget
• Collaborate with Discovery and Electronic Resources Librarian to optimize access to print and electronic resources
• Represent SUNY Maritime on SUNY Shared Library Services committees related to collections and technical services
• Work as subject specialist in assigned curricular areas, including collection development, communication and consultation with subject faculty
• Support library user services including reference and instruction
• Participate in college service, publication, and other professional and scholarly activities as required for promotion and tenure
• Additional duties as assigned
• Master's degree in information and/or library science from an ALA-accredited school or an ALA- approved foreign equivalent
• Experience creating and maintaining bibliographic metadata
• Knowledge of relevant cataloging services and tools, professional library theories, issues and trends
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and meticulous attention to detail
• Excellent communication and time management skills
• Ability to work independently and perform complicated tasks with minimal supervision
• Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing assignments, library procedures, priorities and information technology needs
• Experience in an academic or research library
• Experience with special collections
• Experience with Federal Depository Library Program or government documents
• Familiarity with Ex Libris's Alma
• Familiarity with other library software (SpringShare, OpenBiblio)
• Ability to gather, analyze, and report data
• Demonstrated collaboration and teamwork skills
• Ability to work occasional nights and weekends
Classification/Salary Range: The Technical Services Librarian is a UUP position. The anticipated salary range for the position is $50,000 - $60,000 annually, with an outstanding benefits package (for more information please see the Full-Time UUP Benefits Summary). Salary will commensurate with experience and qualifications. Review of applications to commence immediately and conclude when the position is filled.
Special Notes: This is a full-time calendar year appointment UUP Position. Fair Labor Standard Acts (FLSA) Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously.
Budget Title: Assistant Librarian 08
Local Title: Technical Services Librarian
Line #: 00583
SUNY Maritime College is an Equal Opportunity/Veterans/Disabled/Affirmative Action employer, committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. For our full non-discrimination statement, see: http://www.sunymaritime.edu/affirmative-action.
SUNY Maritime College is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its students, faculty, staff, volunteers and the general public that use our facilities. Therefore, in order to ensure the hiring of employees of the highest integrity and to maintain a safe campus community, SUNY Maritime College will conduct pre-employment background investigations on all individuals for whom employment is to be offered.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (718) 409-7305. It can also be viewed online by selecting University Police > Safety Information > Clery Safety Report (Annual Security & File Safety).
Persons interested in the above position should apply online. Please submit:
1. Cover letter
3. Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion will advance Maritime's commitment to inclusive excellence
4. Names and contact information of three professional references
$50,000 - $60,000 yearly