Sarah Lawrence College
Job posted to this site on January 24th at 11:37am
Application Deadline: March 15th 2023
The Sarah Lawrence College Library invites applications for the position of Systems Librarian. Reporting to the Library Director, the Systems Librarian will ensure optimal performance of the library's integrated, cloud-based management platform, OCLC’s WorldShare Management Services (WMS), as well as work closely with other members of the Technical Services team on a range of technical and systems related tasks.
The successful candidate will be a self-learner, have a high degree of technical expertise and curiosity, have an inclusive, patron-centered approach to systems librarianship, be a collegial and pro-active leader, and will serve a key role in supporting the students, faculty, and wider Sarah Lawrence Community. The Systems Librarian also monitors trends and recommends emerging technologies. This role is critical to maintaining discovery and access to the growing electronic holdings of the library. Candidates with prior experience and familiarity with WorldCat Discovery, Tipasa, library acquisitions and processing, cataloguing and/or web content management are particularly welcomed to apply.
Sarah Lawrence is a prestigious, coeducational liberal arts college that consistently ranks among the leading liberal arts colleges in the country. Sarah Lawrence is known for its pioneering approach to education, its rich history of impassioned intellectual and civic engagement, and its vibrant, successful alumni. In close proximity to the unparalleled offerings of New York City, the historic campus, located in southern Westchester, is home to an intellectually curious and diverse community.
This a full-time, on-site, exempt position located in Bronxville, NY.
Librarians at Sarah Lawrence College are administrative staff members. For more about working at Sarah Lawrence College, please visit our Human Resources Department website: https://www.sarahlawrence.edu/human-resources/working-here.html.
- Lead administrator for WMS, ensuring that all internal systems and software including acquisitions, cataloguing and analytics are functioning optimally
- Analyze library applications in terms of systems and programming requirements; analyze system and operational problems and provide leadership in solving problems associated with the ILS, catalogue and discovery services
- Collaborate with library staff and IT to troubleshoot and improve system-based services
- Manage and support other critical library services including EZProxy configuration and maintenance, and Tipasa (interlibrary loan management system)
- Support the research and learning needs of the college from a technical systems standpoint
- Generate WMS reports as needed for ongoing collection maintenance projects and assessment needs
- Gathers statistics for ACRL, ipeds and other reports as needed.
- Participates in long-range planning process for the library, including recommending changes or improvements and developing new types of services and operations
- As a member of the Technical Services team, provide back up and assistance as needed for library acquisitions and processing, ebook acquisition, cataloguing, and website updating.
- Master’s degree in library and information science from an ALA-accredited program, or equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education
- 2-4 years’ work experience in an academic library
- Experience with the OCLC WMS library services platform
- Expertise in organizing and manipulating data using spreadsheet applications, like Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets
- Experience with or ability to quickly learn Microsoft Access
- Familiarity with library metadata standards including MARC
- Experience creating reports and generating statistics
- Competency and understanding of at least 2 programming languages, with the capacity for learning programming languages quickly
- Demonstrated excellence in leadership, communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies and adapt to change
- Demonstrated commitment to and support for an inclusive environment for staff and library users
- Patience, tact, and collegial personality
- Strong organizational talents
- Ability to exhibit good judgment and establish effective working relationships with staff and colleagues but also work independently
- Excellent English-language written and oral communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with a diverse population
- Comprehension of and comfort with descriptive metadata across library systems, including ability to crosswalk data from different formats.
- Experience with the Tipasa interlibrary loan management system
- Administering, creating and using Libguides
- Experience or comfort with basic web management systems such as Cascade
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Effective October 15, 2021, all employees of Sarah Lawrence College must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Exceptions to this requirement will only be considered for documented medical reasons or sincerely held religious beliefs. Any offers of employment will be contingent on successful completion of a background check and submission of proof of vaccination.
LocationSarah Lawrence College, One Mead Way, Bronxville, NY, 10708
$55,000 - $65,000 yearly
Application URL or Email
Submit specified application materials to email@example.com.