Substitute Visual & Performing Arts-Music Librarian (Instructor or Assistant Professor)
Job posted to this site on September 17th at 9:40pm
Application Deadline: October 13th 2023
The Substitute Visual & Performing Arts-Music (VPA-Music) Librarian is a full-time substitute position at Queens College Library (QCL). As a member of the Library Faculty this public services position reports through the Development Group to the Chief Librarian. QCL promotes a hybrid work schedule (80% on-site, 20% remote) for full-time personnel, which may include evenings and weekends. Substitute appointments are made generally for a six-month period, renewable up to a total of two years.
Participates in core librarianship and teaching functions, such as:
- Provides research assistance through in-person, online, and hybrid means
- Participates in the Library instruction program by teaching course assignment-based sessions for ENGL 110 and for subjects relevant to the position, other kinds of workshops and sessions, and credit courses
- Develops learning objectives and library instruction materials in arts disciplines.
- Participates in resource development (e. g. collection development, guides, etc.) and outreach as VPA-Music subject specialist for the varied subjects in the Aaron Copland School of Music (ACSM) and the department of Drama, Theatre & Dance (DTD)
- Fosters VPA involvement and collaboration with Library professionals providing specialized resources and services, such as Digital Scholarship & OER, Makerspace, etc., to facilitate a holistic approach to supporting performing arts teaching and applied learning
- Plays an active service role in Library teams, and engages in service to the profession, college, and university
- Pursues opportunities for scholarly conversations, presentations, publications, etc.
- Performs other professional duties as needed by the Library
As a member of the Development Group and the VPA team participates in activities such as:
- Manages the Music Library in the ACSM, its spaces, resources, and services, and supervises its personnel.
- Collaborates with the VPA-Art Librarian to maintain a strong relationship between the Library and the varied School of Arts and related humanities departments
- Takes an innovative approach to expanding and developing collections in the performing arts, and pursues outreach opportunities to materially support them
- Creates digital and physical exhibits showcasing library resources in the visual and performing arts, collaborating with the VPA-Art Librarian, the Head of Special Collections and Archives, and other library personnel supporting exhibits & events
- Serves as backup for the VPA-Art Librarian who oversees the Art Collection and other VPA and related subjects in the main library
Master's in Library Science (MLS) or Master's in Library Information Studies (MLIS), or closely related discipline from an ALA-accredited institution. A second Graduate Degree is required for appointment as an Assistant Professor. Also required is the ability to work with others for the good of the institution.
Subject Knowledge & Skills:
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Music OR the equivalent in demonstrated experience in music performance accompanied with an undergraduate or graduate degree in the performing arts
- Familiarity with digital tools and technologies in the performing arts
- Familiarity with current trends in resources and research strategies in the performing arts
Librarianship & Teaching:
- One cumulative year’s experience providing library research & reference services
- One cumulative year’s experience in performing arts librarianship and/or performing arts teaching
- Supervisory experience managing personnel
- Interest in participating in scholarly conversations, presentations, publications, etc.
- This position is open until filled
- Review of applications begins October 13th, 2023
- Applicants should email the following to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- One-page cover letter
- Contact information for two professional references
- Include “Substitute VPA-Music Librarian” in the email subject line
LocationFlushing, NY 11367
$69,945 - $75,465 yearly
Application URL or Email
Submit specified application materials to email@example.com.