Reference & Instruction Librarian
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Job posted to this site on September 1st at 2:56pm
Application Deadline: September 26th 2022
Reporting to the Manager of Information and Education Services, the Reference & Instruction Librarian supports the information seeking, learning and knowledge creation needs of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and Mount Sinai Health System communities. The ideal candidate for this role will be a service-oriented information professional interested in continuously growing their knowledge about information literacy and evidence-based practice, searching online databases, and using reference management tools. Core duties and responsibilities are outlined below:
Reference & Research Services
- Participates in the library’s Ask-A-Librarian service, fielding reference inquiries via email, text, chat, phone, and in-person and providing usage data to inform service development.
- Provides research consultation services to the ISMMS and MSHS user community on literature searching, research synthesis methods, journal selection, and other relevant topics.
- Serves as the library’s reference management expert, maintaining online education content, and assisting users through training sessions and on-the-fly troubleshooting.
- Participates in the library’s systematic review/meta-analysis service, providing guidance on methodology/best practices and search strategy development, as well as serving as an author-level contributor.
- Assists in the identification and evaluation of resources and tools for potential library or organizational acquisition.
Education & Instruction Services
- Maintains and enhances LibAnswers knowledgebase, LibGuides content, and other online learning content in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Develops and delivers instructional sessions for clinical and academic programs in collaboration with requestors.
- Provides instruction to members of the ISMMS and MSHS user community by teaching online and in-person classes on effective use of library resources, citation management tools, and a variety of topics pertaining to scholarly publishing.
- Develops messaging and prepares print and digital marketing content for the blog, web, etc. to promote educational and research programming as well as usage of library resources and services.
Library-wide Engagement and Professional Development
- Advances diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility for all Health System library users.
- Develops and maintains awareness of current trends and best practices in reference and instruction services, within and beyond the health sciences library community.
- Engages in lifelong learning/continuing education and professional association activities
- Master's degree earned from an ALA-accredited Library/Information Science program or internationally-recognized equivalent.
- Minimum one year of experience providing library reference or instruction services in an academic, hospital, or research library or an information services setting.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Proficient written and spoken communication skills.
- Demonstrated aptitude for teaching; finalist candidates will be asked to present as part of the interview process.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, with effective interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Experience with reference management tools, such as EndNote or Zotero.
- Experience using biomedical and interdisciplinary resources such as PubMed/MEDLINE, CINAHL, Scopus, and Web of Science.
- Experience advertising and/or marketing resources and services to diverse stakeholders, including faculty and students.
- Graphic design skills with application to print or digital media, presentations or video development.
- Familiarity with Springshare LibApps platform (LibGuides, LibAnswers, etc.).
- Familiarity with Evidence-Based Medicine (EBM) practice model.
- Familiarity with best practices and emerging trends in Data Management, including data management plans, sharing, and open data.
The Levy Library is dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway.
- Deadline: Applications received by 9am September 26, 2022 will receive first consideration.
- To Apply: Qualified applicants who wish to be considered for this position should submit the following information requested: a cover letter, a complete resume, and a list of three professional references (names and contact information only) via the Mount Sinai Careers Portal.
- Salary Range: $58,661- $78,000
About the Levy Library
The mission of the Gustave L. and Janet W. Levy Library is to support the educational, research and patient care activities of the faculty, students and staff of the Mount Sinai Health System. The Library implements its mission by providing access to biomedical information resources in paper, digital and electronic formats, and by serving as a resource on communications, Web and computing issues for the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
About the Icahn School of Medicine
The Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai is an international leader in medical and scientific training, biomedical research, and patient care. It is the medical school for the Mount Sinai Health System, which includes eight hospital campuses, and has more than 5,000 faculty and nearly 2,000 students, residents and fellows. Our unwavering pursuit of intellectual exchange, breakthrough research, and multidisciplinary teamwork propels us ever forward in biomedical discoveries and advances. We pursue ideas that often challenge conventional wisdom to revolutionize the practice of medicine and produce dramatically better outcomes for patients. We make big, bold bets by investing in radical free thinkers and technology at the cutting edge.
LocationNew York, NY
$58,661 - $78,000 yearly
Application URL or Email
Submit specified application materials to email@example.com.