Metadata Support Assistant, Level 5
Job posted to this site on September 1st at 8:09am
The Fordham University Libraries are seeking a Metadata Support Assistant (Level 5) at Walsh Library, located on the Rose Hill campus in the Bronx.
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00 am-5:00 pm
Start Date: As soon as possible
• Reports to Head of Cataloging
• Digitizes materials for inclusion into the digital collections of the Fordham University Libraries.
• Converts cataloging reports into spreadsheets/databases
• Uploads digital content to the libraries’ digital collections as needed
• Reviews digital content to extract needed metadata under the supervision of Head of Cataloging and Metadata Management Librarian
• Reviews scanned images for quality assurance
• Assists in de-duplication research using various online sources
• Assists in the preparation of shipment of materials to outside contractors
• Evaluates the treatment of fragile and special format materials for potential inclusion into the libraries’ digital collections
• Contributes to the Fordham Library News blog/social media channels
• Assists the Head of the Department with monthly and quarterly statistics
• Searches various integrated library systems for matching cataloging copy
• Provides copy cataloging for print materials received by the department
• Prepares materials in various formats for public use
• Prepares materials for bindery using ABLE bindery software
• Reconciles invoices for materials returned from offsite bindery vendor.
• Prepares materials returned from bindery
• Reports to the Head of Department titles with complex holdings and cataloging issues
• Assists in reclassification and refreshing projects
• Assists in the deaccessioning of print materials including preparing shipments to offsite vendors.
• Delivers mail and packages throughout the building when necessary
• Other tasks as assigned.
• B.A. or B.S. required
• Must be self-motivated, highly detail oriented with the ability to prioritize tasks.
• Must possess excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
• Must be able to work well with others and coordinate shared tasks.
• Must have a willingness to learn new digital tools and resources.
• Must have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, Library of Congress classification, SIRSI workflows, OCLC and database searching. Knowledge of digital collections preferred.
• Strong commitment to public service required.
• Must be capable of light lifting and shelving activities.
Email resume and cover letter to John Williams, Head of Cataloging: firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply
Submit specified application materials to email@example.com.