Library Director I
Massena Public Library
Job posted to this site on March 13th at 11:36am
Application Deadline: April 13th 2023
The Board of Trustees of the Massena Public Library in Massena, New York, is seeking a dynamic, creative and community focused individual to lead the Massena Public Library as Library Director. Chartered in 1935, the Massena Public Library (www.massenapubliclibrary.org) is a municipal library primarily serving the residents of Massena and surrounding towns. The library, which is a member of the North Country Library System, has become a meeting place, cultural center, and technology hub for the community and surrounding area. The town of Massena, which has approximately 12,000 residents, is located in northern New York state- bordered by the St. Lawrence River and Canada to the north, and close to many sites of natural beauty in the Thousand Islands and Adirondack regions.
The five-member appointed Board of Trustees governs the library and provides broad policy guidance and direction to the Library Director. The Library Director is a full-time (40 hours/week) professional position that supervises 3 full time and 5 part-time positions. The primary responsibilities of the Library Director include administering the day to day operations of the Library and its staff (including planning, developing, and implementing library services); promoting fiscal responsibility and growth through transparent budgeting and grant writing; and evaluating the effectiveness of library services in relation to the evolving needs of the local community and the library’s long-range plan.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in cultivating community relationships, will have an understanding of the unique challenges facing a rural municipal library, and is committed to working closely with the Board to establish and maintain a sustainable budget that meets the community’s needs.
Other key duties include:
Leadership and Strategic Planning
● Develop short-term and long-range goals and strategic plans in keeping with the mission and policies of the library.
● Maintain knowledge of new developments in the library profession through participation in professional organizations, meetings, and continuing education programs.
● Work to promote the professional development and growth of library staff.
● Develop an annual budget proposal for Board approval.
● Oversee library expenditures and the collection of revenues.
● Identify and pursue grant opportunities.
Programming and Community Outreach
● Develop and implement new services and programs that align with the library’s mission and community needs such as cultural, art, fitness, technology, literacy, or children’s programs.
● Advocate for and promote the library through active community involvement, and an interactive and robust social media presence.
● Serve as the public face of the library, representing the library’s interests before governmental agencies and community groups as needed.
Management and Administrative Oversight
● Direct the day to day operations of Massena Public Library, directly or through appropriate delegation.
● Manage the collection to include overseeing acquisitions and weeding, circulation, reference and reader advisories.
● Schedule and supervise library personnel including hiring, training, and evaluating full time and part time employees.
● Recommend employee actions (such as promotions, transfers, or dismissals) to the Board.
● Establish and maintain a manual of library policies and procedures.
● Supervise the maintenance of library property and recommend repairs, improvements, alterations, and construction.
The successful candidate will possess a Master’s Degree in Librarianship from an institution accredited by the American Library Association, or recognized by the New York State Education Department as following acceptable education practices, and three (3) years of professional library experience.
Special requirement: Eligibility for a New York State Public Librarian’s professional certificate at the time of application.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range is $62,000-$70,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience. Benefits include participation in New York State & Local Retirement System, health insurance, vacation, sick and personal leave.
Civil Service and Residency Requirements:
This is a provisional Civil Service appointment. The civil service exam for Library Director I will be posted at https://stlaw-portal.mycivilservice.com/post/exams by the end of March. The selected candidate will have to fulfill St. Lawrence County’s Civil Service requirements for Library Director I, and must be among the three highest-scoring candidates willing to accept the position, in order to retain the permanent appointment. The selected candidate will also be required to take a mandatory drug and alcohol screening and must reside in the Massena Electric Department service area.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information for three professional references to:
Massena Town Clerk
Attn.: Joseph Savoca, President
Massena Public Library Board of Trustees
60 Main St.
Massena, NY 13662
Or email documents as pdf attachments to MPLEmployment@ncls.org with the subject line “Library Director”.
Review of applications will begin April 1; applications accepted until the position is filled.
For questions about the position, contact the Library Board at firstname.lastname@example.org
LocationMassena Public Library, Glenn Street, Village of Massena, Town of Massena, Saint Lawrence County, New York, 13662, United States
$62,000 - $70,000 yearly
Application URL or Email
Submit specified application materials to MPLEmployment@ncls.org.