Librarian, Adult Services & Programs
Bedford Hills Free Library
Job posted to this site on July 12th at 9:54am
Application Deadline: August 15th 2022
Bedford Hills Free Library seeks a self-motivated professional to assume the position of Librarian, Adult Services & Programs. S/he shares the leadership’s 21 century vision for library service and is responsible for developing and managing library materials collections as well as planning and coordinating programs and services for adults.
The Bedford Hills Free Library is an association library serving the hamlet of Bedford Hills in the Town of Bedford, located an hour north of New York City. The Library is a member of the Westchester Library Service (WLS). Since marking the Centennial of its founding in 2015, the Library has launched an Early Literacy Initiative, a robust Summer Reading Program, outreach to a diverse constituency, and exciting collaborative partnerships. The Library is now poised to expand its reach and impact by developing services and programs through curation of content, technological and digital access and information, creative programs for adults, and facilities improvement. This is an exciting opportunity for an intelligent, energetic, and forward-thinking librarian to have a positive impact within our Library, community, and beyond.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and manage the adult collection and reference services. This includes electronic resources (audio and e-books, digital resources, etc.). Coordinate tech training and one-on-one support for patrons.
- Work with the Executive Director to develop new initiatives for adults and to manage events such as book groups, workshops, community reads, or public forums.
- Oversee acquisitions manager, clerks, and volunteers assigned to assist with tech services, collection maintenance, or services for adults. Provide guidance and support to circulation staff to ensure exceptional and friendly patron service and public interface.
- Research and prepare content for reader’s advisory, ready reference, website, or social media platforms other strategies to connect adult patrons with library resources.
- Participate in planning ways to optimize the library facility; create displays, signage, and other methods to attract visitors and provide a pleasing learning environment.
- Participate in evaluating needs of an economically and ethnically diverse community and help to develop new services to stimulate thinking, life-long learning, and civic engagement.
- Actively promote services and programs, including community outreach and engagement.
- Keep abreast of library trends and technology through professional organizations, system meetings, and professional development opportunities.
- Attend strategic planning and staff meetings, prepare annual goals, action plans, and budgets; maintain statistical information and produce reports about activity. Adhere to policies and procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- An MLS/MLIA degree from an ALA-accredited program is required.
- At least 5 years of experience and professional aptitude with library collections, reference, programming, technology, and/or services for adults.
- High level of proficiency with computers/technology, Inter-Library System (experience with Evergreen is a plus) as well as digital resources (e-books, streaming, etc.) social media platforms, and websites.
- Good judgment and ability to establish effective working relationships with a diverse community of patrons and team of staff and volunteers.
- Strong initiative, creativity, flexibility, and a positive attitude.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including public speaking.
- Ability to effectively organize time and resources, aptitude with administrative systems.
- Bilingual in Spanish is not required, but highly desirable.
The Bedford Hills Free Library is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender, age, or sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law. Employees of Bedford Hills Free Library must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
Application URL or Email
Submit specified application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.