Librarian 1 - Youth Services
Jersey City Free Public Library
Job posted to this site on April 27th at 5:24am
Application Deadline: September 10th 2022
Job Title: Librarian I – Youth Services (3 Vacancies)
Division: Youth Services Division
Location: These two positions will be primarily located at one of the following branch libraries: Miller and Five Corners branches. However, all candidates may be asked periodically to fill in at other locations.
Workweek: 9:00am – 5:00pm (35 hours per week). Evenings and weekends will be scheduled as needed.
*Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities, may change at any time with or without notice.
About Jersey City and the Jersey City Free Public Library (JCFPL)
At JCFPL we are growing to serve the increased needs of our community!
Jersey City, NJ is the most diverse community in the U.S. (See: https://www.nj.com/hudson/2020/02/jersey-city-ranked-the-most-diverse-us-city-in-2020.html). It is also the largest city in Hudson County, NJ and likely, with the next U.S. Census, to be the largest city in the State of New Jersey with a population nearing 300,000.
The JCFPL is the largest municipal library in the State of New Jersey with 10 locations and a bookmobile. Our staff of nearly 140 provides services in a wide range of languages including English, Spanish, Hindi, Gujarati, Arabic and Tagalog, among others.
About the Positions
As part of the Youth Services Division and reporting to the branch managers, the individuals in these roles are responsible for providing services to children and youth aged 0-18. This includes but is not limited to developing/delivering after school programs, providing homework help, delivering story times and other programs; maintaining the department’s youth collections; promoting use of library materials and services; performing outreach to schools and others supporting youth; preparing reports; keeping informed of professional developments; and performing other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for children’s and young adult literature; familiarity with current library technologies; the ability to perform both independently and as a team member; experience in planning and conducting children’s programming; an energetic approach to outreach to schools, daycares and community partners; excellent communication skills; enthusiasm, courtesy, flexibility and a sense of humor. The ideal candidate will have experience in preschool programming and promoting early literacy practices, afterschool programming and homework help.
Specific Job Duties:
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as an illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- OUTREACH - Develop partnerships with parents, community leaders, and organizations.
- EVALUTATION OF BRANCH NEEDS - Plan, develop, implement, and evaluate overall programs, services, and activities to ensure they meet library goals and the needs and interests of students.
- INNOVATION PROGRAMMING -Designs, develops, and implements innovative programs and services and integrate new technologies into library service.
- TRADITIONAL PROGRAMMING -Organizes and conducts library tours, book talks, film programs, reading clubs, etc. for the purpose of promoting literacy, fostering use of library resources and/or to inform the community and various organizations of available youth services.
- ASTHETICS - Designs, develops, implements and evaluates displays and exhibits.
- SOCIAL MEDIA - Promotes library activities, facilities and services.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE - Assist patrons in locating, evaluating and effectively using information or resources;
- OTHER - Perform all other reasonable duties as assigned by Supervisor.
- Master’s degree in Library or Information Sciences in a library program accredited by the American Library Association or from a New Jersey College Master’s program in Library Science that has been deemed acceptable by Thomas Edison State University.
- May be required to possess a valid certification as a Professional Librarian issued by Thomas Edison State University.
- Ability to keep informed of current theories, objectives, principles, and techniques of librarianship: and adapt to modern technology, library trends and innovations.
- Ability to identify, customize, create and present innovative programs and services and integrate new technologies into library service.
- Ability to read, write, speak, or communicate in a second language other than English.
- Experience as a musician, singer, theater performer, or artist a plus.
- Desire to work in fast-paced urban environment a plus.
This is a Civil Service Job and you must eventually pass and qualify for the applicable Civil Service title.
To apply for this job with the Jersey City Free Public Library, please email your resume as a PDF attachment.
Please note that this role is subject to the residency requirements set forth by the NJ First Act.
Location472 Jersey Ave, Jersey City, NJ 07901
Application URL or Email
Submit specified application materials to email@example.com.