Head of Circulation Services
SUNY Purchase College
Job posted to this site on November 13th at 2:31pm
Application Deadline: November 28th 2023
Purchase College Library, State University of New York seeks a Head of Circulation Services. Reporting to the Library Director, this full-time professional staff position is responsible for the overall management of the Circulation department and ensures quality customer service is provided to all patrons. This role is an essential employee and may require occasional evening and weekend work.
• Manages all aspects of circulation services: ensures opening and closing procedures are followed, oversees day-to-day circulation functions, handles emergency situations.
• Manages work schedules of student and professional staff to ensure circulation desk coverage during all hours of operation
• Supervises and evaluates circulation professional staff (approx. 3 – 5 staff members)
• Hires, interviews, supervises, and evaluates student assistants (approx. 15-20 student workers)
• Manages student payroll and budgeting within allocation limits.
• Develops and coordinates student worker training and special projects
• Manages billing for library fines and fees, communicates with patrons, and resolves fine disputes
• Oversees the collection and analysis of statistics for Circulation and makes data-driven recommendations for improvements in policies and services
• Staffs the circulation desk (approx. 10-15 hours a week)
• Manages course reserves.
• Problem-solves customer service issues at circulation; escalates problems to Library Director as appropriate
• Regularly updates the library website.
• Participates in strategic planning for the Library
• Partners with technical services, resource sharing/interlibrary loan, and reference and instruction librarians to ensure interdepartmental cooperation and collaboration
• Assists with department projects and initiatives
• At least 5 years experience working in a library
• Progressive responsibility at a library including at least one year of supervisory experience
• Demonstrated knowledge of core circulation functions
• Demonstrated excellence in customer service
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to manage conflict and work with a dynamic team
• Proactive and creative problem-solver
• Ability to manage many competing priorities at once
• Experience using Ex Libris Alma/Primo
• Experience with Ellucian Banner (student accounts database)
• Experience training and managing student workers
• Experience managing budgets and student payroll
• Experience in an academic library
• Experience creating reports and making data-driven conclusions/adjustments to services
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite is a plus.
LocationSUNY Purchase College 735 Anderson Hill Road Purchase, NY 10577