Executive Chief Librarian (Assistant Administrator)
Job posted to this site on January 10th at 10:28am
The Graduate Center, CUNY is a focal point for advanced teaching and research at The City University of New York (CUNY), the nation's largest urban public university. With over 48 doctoral and master’s programs, the Graduate Center fosters pioneering research and scholarship in the arts and sciences and prepares students for careers in universities and the private, nonprofit, and government sectors. The
Graduate Center’s commitment to research and scholarship for the public good is exemplified by its more than 30 centers, institutes, and initiatives, including its Advanced Science Research Center (ASRC.
The Graduate Center (GC) benefits from highly ambitious and diverse students and alumni—who in turn teach hundreds of thousands of undergraduates every year. Through its public programs, the Graduate Center enhances New York City’s intellectual and cultural life.
The Mina Rees Library is committed to supporting the curriculum, research, teaching, and learning activities of The Graduate School and University Center. The Executive Chief Librarian provides the strategic vision and leadership necessary to support, expand, and advance the Library's goals and objectives. The Executive Chief Librarian reports to the Provost.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provides overall administration, planning, and oversight of library collections and services.
- Provides leadership for the development of the most appropriate and effective ways of offering library services, managing and anticipating current and future technological needs and services, including integration of digital collections and services with traditional library services and collections
- Oversees budgeting, financial, and personnel matters of the Library, including recruiting, selecting, hiring, and evaluating professional library staff and for administration of the library budget.
- Makes recommendations to the Provost on the most effective means of providing library support for research and teaching.
- Serves as ex-officio Chair of the Library's Executive Committee which makes the initial decisions on all library faculty reappointments, promotions, and tenure actions.
- Collaborates with doctoral and Master’s faculty and students to identify library research and study needs and to assess existing library collections and services.
- Works with Information Technology to develop and maintain technology-related strategies and services in support of the research and educational needs of faculty and students.
- Serves as an ex-officio member of the Library and Information Technology Committees of the Graduate Council.
- Represents the Library and the GC through active participation in the work of the Library, the GC, the Council of Chief Librarians, the higher education community, and in professional associations.
- Serves on the Executive Board of the Friends of the Mina Rees Library and provides input on library needs and suggested strategies for fundraising.
- Performs other related duties.
This position is in CUNY's Executive Compensation Plan. All executive positions require a minimum of a Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience.
A preferred candidate should have:
- MLS from an ALA accredited program and either a Master's degree or a doctorate are strongly preferred.
- Scholarly achievement appropriate for appointment at a senior faculty rank.
- Demonstrated skill, experience and commitment to diversity in the recruitment, guidance and advancement of personnel.
- At least ten years of progressively responsible library administrative and budget management experience, preferably in higher education.
- Demonstrated knowledge of traditional library functions, emerging technologies, and trends in higher education and their impact on library services.
- Demonstrated experience in fundraising and donor relations preferred.
How to Apply:
Go to http://cuny.jobs/ and search for Job ID 23359.
Please click on "Apply Now" below which will bring you to the registration screen. If you are a new user, you must register to apply. If you already have a user ID, please use your existing ID to apply. Please upload a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three (3) professional references (name, title, organization, phone number, and email). Please upload all documents in Word or PDF format.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.