Electronic Resources/ Reference Librarian
Job posted to this site on August 2nd at 3:25pm
Application Deadline: September 2nd 2022
LIM College - The Business of Fashion & Lifestyle is currently seeking candidates for the position of Electronic Resources/ Reference Librarian.
Located in the heart of New York City since 1939, LIM is focused on the business of fashion and lifestyle. With majors ranging from Fashion Media and Fashion Merchandising to The Business of Cannabis, Consumer Analytics, and more, LIM prepares students for career success through an approach grounded in real-world experience and learning by doing. Offering associate, bachelor’s and master’s degree programs both on campus and online, LIM provides students with the education, experience, and connections to become successful business leaders in the global fashion and lifestyle industry.
The Electronic Resources/ Reference Librarian manages the electronic resources of the library and serves as the systems administrator and IT liaison for internal library department software. Configures, maintains, and troubleshoots subscription resources and digital acquisitions; creates and maintains metadata for both electronic and print resources; maintains usage statistical data of library resources; trains staff and work-study students on related library procedures. Also, answers library reference questions, instructs classes for student and faculty on research and use of the library. Performs and oversees specific projects and programs as assigned. Works closely with the Office of Information Technology and the Office of Learning Innovation on cross-departmental projects. Serves on college-wide committees as appointed; attends open-house events and provides college service as directed.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
Assumes responsibility for the effective performance of library electronic resources.
- Configures, maintains, and troubleshoots library electronic resources including subscription academic and industry resources: databases, e-books, business cases, and online video.
- Serves as technical support to students, faculty, and other departments for library resources, sometimes requiring to be the liaison between vendor support and the end user.
- Configures, upgrades, and troubleshoots internal library software including Sirsi Symphony (ILS), Sirsi Enterprise (OPAC), LibraryH3lp (chat platform), and EzProxy (proxy server).
- Configures and maintains library learning technology integrations with Canvas (LMS) and creates library learning objects at the direction of the Office of Learning and Innovation and faculty request.
- Creates and maintains the schedules for librarian private appointments and study room reservations on the WC Online platform.
- Performs collection development, acquisition and configuration of technical aspects of e-textbook and digital video selections on behalf of faculty, course coordinators, academic chairs, and the Office of Learning and Innovation.
- Creates end-user support materials for using library technologies.
- Creates and maintains metadata for monographs, serials and electronic resources.
- Acts as liaison between IT department, ILS vendors and the library, keeping the Director and other library staff updated regarding progress.
- Providing staff with regular updates on events and issues that may impact the library.
Assumes responsibility for maintenance of library’s digital and physical collections.
- Maintains, inventories, and weeds collections in line with curriculum needs.
- Collects and maintains usage statistics for library digital and physical collections.
- Creates MARC21 metadata records for digital and print materials for the ILS.
- Processes new print materials to add to library physical collections.
- Oversees processing of incoming periodicals as well as binding of periodicals semi-annually.
- Serves on library and college committees, specifically those surroundings technology.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Assumes responsibility for identification and implementation of emerging technologies in the library field.
- Keeps informed on emerging technologies inside of and external to the library field that would improve library services.
- Learns how to use and implements new technologies in the library department.
- Identifies opportunities for collaboration across college departments on technological platforms.
- Assesses the use of library technologies to remain relevant to curriculum needs and essential to library and information literacy functions.
Assumes some responsibility for the effective performance of library reference functions.
- Provides online library research assistance to students with print and online resources via in-person, email, phone, video conference, and chat reference.
- Trains and schedules student workers for Peer-to-Peer Chat Reference service.
- Works with the Reference & Instruction Librarian to create and modify canned responses and makes other platform configurations as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Assumes some responsibility for the effective performance of library instruction services.
- Teaches library instruction sessions to classes based on curriculum designed by Reference & Instruction Librarian.
- Teaches topic-specific workshops to students and faculty on library technologies as well as general research concepts.
- Provides feedback to the Reference & Instruction Librarian about students’ information literacy needs as observed in instructions sessions and reference interactions.
- Participates in college-wide assessment and accreditation effort.
- Assumes responsibility for preparing and maintaining assigned records and reports.
- Works with Director to oversee student projects, providing input into acquisitions decisions, and proposes long-term strategies for the growth and maintenance of the library in general.
- Prepares annually, and as needed, usage reports using statistics gleaned from both the ILS system and electronic resources.
- Prepares collection statistics annually for library sections of college IPEDS report.
Assumes some responsibility for managing library space and student workers.
- Supervises student workers in day-to-day operations, schedules student worker shifts, and completes biweekly payroll.
- Works with Library Director to interview, hire, and train new student workers.
- Oversees that the library space is kept tidy throughout the day, keeps flyers and promotional materials current, and keeps book displays up-to-date and attractive.
- Maintains the scheduling of the private study rooms.
- Keeps Library Director informed of area activities and of any significant problems.
Assumes responsibility for related duties as required or assigned.
- Serves on library and college committees, specifically those that impact technology.
- Performs special operations and manages special projects as assigned.
- Ensures that work area is clean, secure, and well maintained.
Requirements: The person selected will have the following qualifications:
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- At least one (1) year relevant library experience.
- Master’s Degree in the field of Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Thorough knowledge of electronic resource management and some knowledge of reference and bibliographic instruction.
- Ability to teach bibliographic instruction & information literacy courses.
- Ability to administer library electronic resources and proxy server.
- Ability to administer library software, such as Sirsi or Aleph.
- Ability to supervise part-time workers.
LocationNew York, NY, 10017