Electronic Resources and Systems Librarian
Job posted to this site on June 1st at 3:10pm
Application Deadline: July 1st 2022
Mercy College Libraries invites applications for an Electronic Resources and Systems Librarian, Visiting Assistant Professor. This 12-month faculty position leads the technical services team and manages database licensing, acquisitions, cataloging, materials processing, and the library’s electronic resources and systems. Working from Mercy’s Dobbs Ferry campus, the Electronic Resources and Systems librarian is responsible for maintaining the integrated library system (Sierra), the discovery layer (Summon), and other electronic subscriptions.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• Supervise the technical services team, which consists of three full-time library assistants
• Implement, troubleshoot, and maintain consistent and reliable operation, delivery, and access to the library’s ILS system, discovery layer, databases, and aggregate electronic resources.
• Work with IT to maintain the EZproxy server and link resolver.
• Improve, establish, and document all cataloging policies and procedures related to format types, collections, and general professional practices.
• Develop and maintain policies, procedures, and other types of documentation on library systems and electronic resources.
• Build and maintain strong professional relationships with vendors, publishers, and consortia to obtain product information, including preliminary pricing and license terms.
• Review and negotiate contracts and licenses for electronic resources to get favorable pricing, terms, and conditions. Coordinate purchasing and invoicing operations.
• Create and maintain detailed, accurate, and relevant documentation and records (e.g. usage statistics) for electronic resource evaluations and acquisitions. Maintain, update, and assess workflows for electronic resources related tasks.
• Participate in budgetary oversight by advising on fund allocation. Monitor budgetary encumbrances and expenditures.
• Liaise with the college’s financial offices in reviewing invoices processed by the library.
• Work in collaboration with library staff, faculty, and students to develop, implement, and assess policies, practices, and technologies designed to enhance library resources and services for discovery and sharing.
• Serve as the library’s representative to Westchester Academic Library Directors Organization (WALDO).
• Provide reference and instruction services as needed.
• Occasional travel to other campuses when needed.
• Evening and weekend availability is required.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
• MLS or equivalent from an ALA accredited program
• 2-4 years of experience working in an academic library
• 2-4 years of experience configuring, troubleshooting, and managing back-end functionality in an integrated library system (Sierra), discovery layer (Summon), link resolvers, and proxy servers (EZ proxy).
• 1-2 years of experience managing electronic resources lifecycle activities, which includes licensing, access, usage tracking, etc.
• 1-2 years of experience with budgets, resource allocations, and acquisition processes
• Experience with MS Office Suite software, specifically Excel
• Strong attention to detail; Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
• Effective time and project management skills with the ability to work independently and as a member of a collaborative team
• Experience providing reference and technical services support activities (reference, reserves, and Interlibrary Loan)
Mercy College has made the safety of our students, faculty, staff and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of this commitment, we recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on our campuses are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. As a prospective and/or a new employee, you will be required to comply with the College's vaccination policy.
Mercy College is a dynamic, diverse New York City area college whose students are on a personal mission to get the most out of life by getting the most out of their education. Our institution is an independent, coeducational college that offers more than 90 undergraduate and graduate degree and certificate programs within five schools: Business, Education, Health and Natural Sciences, Liberal Arts and Social and Behavioral Sciences. Mercy College's efforts in these programs have been recognized over the last several years. As a federally designated Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), Mercy College, has been honored by being ranked nationally among the top Colleges in the country for Hispanics by the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU).
Mercy College was further recognized by HACU as a national leader in awarding bachelor's degrees to Hispanics in several disciplines, including Psychology, Sociology and Business. Additionally, to support our diverse student body, Mercy College has pursued and been awarded a number of federal grants which enable us to better develop and deliver services to our students. As a Hispanic Serving Institution, Mercy College is proud to be recognized as an institution which helps under-served students to achieve their educational aspirations. Westchester Magazine has also named Mercy College the Best College in Westchester county in 2019 and 2020.The vibrancy of the College culture is sustained by a diverse student body from around the region. Enrollment, including full-time and part-time undergraduates and graduates is approximately 10,557; The College offers campuses in Dobbs Ferry, Bronx, Manhattan as well as online offerings.
At Mercy College, we strive to provide employees and their families with a comprehensive and valuable benefits package. We offer high-quality health care plans, retirement benefits, tuition discounts, flexible spending, and much more.
Mercy College is committed to providing motivated students the opportunity to transform their lives through higher education by offering liberal arts and professional programs in personalized and high quality learning environments, thus preparing students to embark on rewarding careers, to continue learning throughout their lives and to act ethically and responsibly in a changing world.
Mercy College is an equal opportunity employer. Mercy College actively engages in recruiting a diverse workforce and student body that includes members of historically underrepresented groups, and strives to build and sustain a welcoming and supportive campus community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, creed, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
LocationMercy College, 555 Broadway, Dobbs Ferry, NY 10522
$62,000 - $66,000 yearly