Director of Programs
Job posted to this site on November 19th at 4:24pm
About the Organization
Libraries Without Borders (LWB US) is an education nonprofit committed to providing equal access to information and knowledge to communities in need. We partner with libraries, schools, tutoring programs, and local nonprofits to transform laundromats, housing lobbies, parks, and a variety of public spaces into places of lifelong learning—from basic reading, writing, and computer skills to health, legal, and financial literacy. By equipping local organizations and leaders with the tools and training they need to provide relevant and reliable information to their communities, we meet people where they are, bridge the digital divide, fight poverty, promote civic engagement and strengthen communities. Our US programs have won numerous awards, including the Google Impact Challenge and the Library of Congress International Literacy Award.
Our Values in Action
LWB US believes that equal access to information and knowledge is critical for achieving economic and racial equity. By partnering with libraries, nonprofit organizations, civic associations, and other stakeholders, we reimagine and reinvent public spaces to deliver programs in places where people live, work, and connect with other members of their community. From public parks in Detroit to laundromats in Oakland and San Antonio, from manufactured housing communities in Minnesota to houses of worship in Baltimore, we meet people where they are and connect them to relevant resources and reliable information.
Through a focus on human-centered design and community-based participatory research, we create programs that respond to immediate needs, adapt to ever-changing circumstances, and promote local capacity building to enable long-term, sustainable progress.
About the Role
The Director of Programs will serve as the manager of place making, digital literacy, and community building programs in California, Maryland, Minnesota, Texas, and Puerto Rico. The Director will manage at least four staff members and be responsible for their success and professional development. The position will require extensive and frequent travel to program sites.
The Director of Programs will join the Executive Director and Deputy Director in senior leadership and will have the opportunity to shape the strategy and impact of an exciting and growing organization.
Who We’re Looking For
LWB US seeks a highly organized, strategic, adaptable, detail-oriented, and people-centered leader with a demonstrated commitment to racial, economic and social justice to serve as the Director of Programs.
The Director should be able to travel to program sites up to 10 business days per month. As a result, we would prefer candidates to live in a city that currently has an LWB US program: Oakland, CA; Baltimore, MD; St. Paul, MN; San Antonio, TX; Washington, D.C. Candidates from elsewhere will also be considered.
- Manage 4+ staff members and set goals for programs according to LWB US strategic plan and regular budgeting.
- Hire and supervise Project Coordinators, Project Associates, and interns within project management, professional development, and leadership development.
- Build and maintain partnerships with key leaders in the non-profit, government, corporate, and philanthropic community.
- Design and pilot the expansion of current programs and build out volunteer recruitment.
- Collaborate with staff members to implement recommendations, research findings, and best-practices to programs, especially within, though not limited to, the focus area or relevant geographic regions.
- Support the monitoring of data, tracking program progress, and identifying benchmarks for success
- Develop and integrate internal policies and practices into national programs (e.g., budgeting, anti-racism, communications protocols).
What We Offer
- Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications, starting at $80,000
- Benefits: Health insurance (including dental, mental health, vision)
- Vacation: 20 days of PTO, including sick days
- Generous Professional development stipend
- We are looking to hire as soon as possible!
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled
- Anticipated start date January 2022
Please send an email titled, “Director of Programs” to email@example.com with the following information:
- Brief cover letter, video or audio recording
- Tell us about yourself. Why are you interested in this position? Why do you want to work for LWB US? Be creative and tell us a good story!
- 1 writing sample of no longer than 2 pages (e.g., grant, journalism, blog post, etc.)
- Contact information for 2-3 professional references
- LinkedIn (optional)
Libraries Without Borders is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce. We strive to be a workplace where people thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do their best work each and every day.
This is a remote Job Offer
How to Apply
Submit specified application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.