Director of Patron Services
Hudson County Community College
Job posted to this site on September 7th at 9:29am
Application Deadline: October 7th 2023
Hudson County Community College
Posting Date: September 6, 2023
POSITION: DIRECTOR OF PATRON SERVICES
DIVISION: COLLEGE LIBRARIES
REPORTS TO: DEAN OF COLLEGE LIBRARIES
Hudson County Community College (HCCC) seeks a Director of Patron Services to join its award-winning and nationally recognized institution. This is an exciting time to be a part of the HCCC community. The College recently launched its 2021-24 Strategic Plan, the culmination of which will align with the College’s 50th anniversary in 2024. The College was recognized by the Association of Community College Trustees as the recipient of the 2021 ACCT Northeast Region Equity Award. HCCC has recently been named one of 101 recipients, 1 of only 7 community colleges to be distinguished for the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award, a national honor recognizing U.S. colleges and universities that demonstrate an outstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion. HCCC’s Culinary Arts Institute was ranked as the #6 Culinary Arts program in the United States by Best Choice Schools. HCCC is a 2023 Bellwether College Consortium award winner for Instructional Programs and Services for the Hudson Scholars Program. Also, HCCC has been named a 2023 Most Promising Places to Work in Community Colleges (MPPWCC) award winner.
Hudson County Community College serves one of the most ethnically diverse and densely populated communities in the United States. The College is a vibrant, urban institution of higher education whose mission is to provide its diverse communities with inclusive, high-quality educational programs and services that promote student success and upward social and economic mobility.
More than 90% of HCCC’s students receive scholarships, grants, and loans to finance their education, and the College’s extensive financial aid program helps connect students with the resources they need. To date, the College’s Foundation has raised over $3.5 million for student scholarships, and HCCC ranks first in the state of New Jersey for its award of Community College Opportunity Grant funds. About half of its more than 12,000 credit students identify as Hispanic, and more than 33% of all students were born outside of the U.S. In 2021, HCCC had two students selected from a national applicant pool to receive the prestigious Jack Kent Cooke Foundation’s Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship and recently six (6) students were named as 2023 semi-finalists.
Hudson County Community College has three campuses. The largest campus is located at the heart of Jersey City’s Journal Square, which is approximately 20 minutes from New York City. The College has a North Hudson Campus, located in Union City, New Jersey and an additional location at the Hudson County Schools of Technology in Secaucus, New Jersey. The College offers 70 degree and certificate programs and more than 300-day, evening, and weekend courses throughout its three-campus network.
Hudson County Community College is committed to delivering high-quality educational experiences. HCCC is a member of the Achieving the Dream network of community colleges. Achieving the Dream is a national reform network of high-performing community colleges that are focused on leveraging data-informed best practices to promote equitable outcomes.
HCCC has two campus Libraries that provide welcoming common spaces that encourage exploration, creation, and collaboration between students, faculty, and a broader community. Our resources include a collection comprised of over 60,000 print and online books, 130 online databases, and approximately 67,000 periodicals (mostly online), nearly 2,000 DVDs, and a number of select streaming videos. In support of our many English Language Learners, our ESL collection offers a rich array of fiction and non-fiction books categorized by reading level to meet a variety of needs.
The College boasts several signature programs, including a nationally recognized Culinary Arts Institute and Nursing Program. The College’s Culinary Arts Institute is one of only three programs in the New York Metropolitan region to hold accreditation from the Accrediting Commission of the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation. The Culinary Arts Institute features state-of-the-art facilities and a hands-on program that prepares students for a range of careers in the hospitality industry. The College recently announced the dedication of the Bloomberg Finance Lab, which provides students with real world experience to prepare them for employment in banks, corporations, and government agencies.
A leader in workforce development, HCCC hosted The Aspen Institute’s Workforce Leadership Academy, which was the first to be offered in partnership with a community college. The Hudson County Workforce Leadership Academy was funded through a combination of public and private donors that included JPMorgan Chase, The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation, The W.K. Kellogg Foundation, the County of Hudson, the LeFrak Family, and Mack-Cali.
POSITION SUMMARY/JOB DESCRIPTION:
Reporting to the Dean of College Libraries, the Director of Patron Services plays an essential role in the Library Management Team. This position ensures the library provides excellent user experience in and across the Hudson County Community College (HCCC) libraries by managing access services operations, including circulation, reserves, and stacks management. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to supervise patron services staff, and develop policies, procedures and workflows that facilitate users’ ability to borrow library materials. The successful candidate will also demonstrate proficiency in managing a robust service desk schedule.
- Manage library access services operations, including circulation, course reserves, stacks maintenance and study spaces.
- Establish and maintain service desk schedules for circulation and reserves. Evaluate library service desk functions and recommend improvements to meet changing user needs.
- Supervise, train, mentor and support library associates and student workers to promote excellent customer service.
- Recommend, develop and enforce patron service policies, workflows and procedures, and review communication of access services and policies to users via multiple channels, including displays, signage, maps, brochures and the library website.
- Monitor and review interlibrary loan requests prior to processing by staff.
- Provide backup support to library service desks as need dictates, which may include nights and weekends.
- Gather documentation and statistics on access services.
- Participate in library and college-wide committees.
- Experience promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent degree from a university accredited by the American Library Association.
- Minimum of 2 years of related job experience, preferably in an academic and/or public library, providing circulation, reference, and instruction services.
- Minimum 2 years of supervisory experience, preferably in an academic library or and/or public library system.
- Experience with integrated library systems (Koha preferred) and library databases.
- Experience using Springshare products, including LibGuides, LibAnswers, and LibStaffer.
- Knowledge of current and emerging trends in access, resource sharing, and delivery services.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, outreach and customer service skills.
- Experience with assessment of access and delivery services.
- Commitment to academic excellence and student success.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Library research and marketing skills.
Salary Grade: 117
HCCC EMPLOYEE BENEFITS: We value and appreciate all employees and acknowledge the importance of a comprehensive benefits program. For a comprehensive list of HCCC benefits, perks, and discounts offered to all employees follow this link: https://www.hccc.edu/administration/hr/benefits-pensions.html.
Location71 Sip Ave. Jersey City, NJ 07306
$65,583 - $111,492 yearly
Application URL or Email
Submit specified application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.