Data Services Specialist/Professional Specialist
Job posted to this site on January 14th at 10:29am
Application Deadline: February 14th 2022
Data Services Specialist
Princeton University Library
Requisition # D22 LIB 00005
Princeton University Library seeks a dynamic service-oriented library professional to serve as a Data Services Specialist in the Data and Statistical Services (DSS) unit at Firestone Library. DSS specialists play a critical role in helping world class academic researchers by providing instruction and support to juniors and seniors for independent research, as well as to faculty members and graduate students. Learn more about us at http://library.princeton.edu
The successful candidate will:
- Provide direct support with statistical methods and software to a diverse community of highly motivated researchers - undergraduates, graduate students and faculty - in an inclusive and welcoming environment.
- Support researchers engaged in quantitative data analysis in a variety of academic disciplines; primarily in the social sciences, particularly economics, finance, politics, public policy, and sociology.
- Help shape quantitative research through supporting innovative methods and approaches.
- Assist in the choice, application, and interpretation of quantitative research methods, and with the use of statistical software.
- Manage, schedule, mentor and supervise a team of up to six doctoral students who provide one-on-one research consultations.
- Engage in individual consultation and group instruction.
- Keep up to date with new methods, software, and approaches.
- Maintain efficient operation of the DSS Lab. Retrieve and manipulate complex data from a variety of sources, transferring data between platforms for use in multiple computing environments.
- Create documentation and maintain the DSS unit's web presence.
- Process data and create metadata for files in the DSS unit's data archive.
For more detail on Data and Statistical Services, see https://dss.princeton.edu/.
- Master's degree in a social science such as economics, finance, politics, public policy, sociology or related fields.
- Experience using STATA and helping others to do the same.
- Research methods background with focus on quantitative data analysis and computing.
- Experience using the R programming language and helping others to do the same. Advanced degree in a quantitative-focused social science discipline such as economics, political science, or sociology or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated ability and experience functioning successfully in a fast-paced environment with a strong service orientation.
- Experience using complex machine-readable data or programming ability. Strong econometrics background.
- Familiarity with social sciences, economic and/or financial data. Expertise with other statistical and programming packages; particularly Python, SAS, SPSS, and MATLAB.
The successful candidate will be appointed to an appropriate Professional Specialist rank depending upon qualifications and experience. Applications will be accepted only from the Jobs at Princeton website and must include a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references with full contact information.
This position is subject to the University's background check policy. Princeton University Library is committed to recruiting a diverse workforce and advancing the University's commitment to racial equity within our community and in the world. We encourage candidates from all diverse backgrounds and life experiences to apply for our positions. To find out more about PUL's work towards greater inclusivity, equity, and diversity, please see PUL's "About" page.
Direct Link to Posting: https://puwebp.princeton.edu/AcadHire/apply/application.xhtml?listingId=24021
This is a remote Job Offer
LocationPrinceton University Library
No salary information provided
Application URL or Email
Submit specified application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.