Collection Management Librarian
SUNY Maritime College
Job posted to this site on July 26th at 10:25am
Application Deadline: August 22nd 2022
About SUNY Maritime College:
SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
The Stephen B. Luce Library seeks a forward-thinking and collaborative Collection Management Librarian to join a highly engaged team. The successful candidate will oversee the continuing development and cataloging of a specialized print and electronic collection that supports the research, teaching, and learning needs of our students, faculty, and staff. This position will work closely with the Discovery and Electronic Resources Librarian and Acquisitions and Budget Coordinator.
Performs original and copy cataloging for all physical and digital formats using national systems and standards.
- Creates and maintains collection integrity with collection development strategy, weeding protocols, and inventory assessments for print collections and e-resources in the library and aboard the training ship.
- Develops and maintains library cataloging and workflow policies, maintenance standards, and best practices for a shared library services platform environment.
- Works closely with the Acquisitions and Budget Coordinator in regards to ordering and receiving print and electronic content within the library's materials budget.
- Collaborates with Discovery and Electronic Resources Librarian to optimize access to print and electronic resources, working in coordination with SUNY Library Services on relevant initiatives.
- Collaborates across library departments to ensure metadata standards are in place for digital projects.
- Prepares administrative and statistical reports, as assigned.
- Provides general and specialized reference service in person and virtually.
- Participates in library instruction and the creation of supplementary material.
- Serves on college and library committees, participates in local, regional, and national associations, and engages in scholarly activity required for promotion and tenure.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in information and/or library science from an ALA-accredited school or an ALA- approved foreign equivalent
- Experience with cataloging services and tools, professional library theories, issues and trends
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Ability to work independently and perform complicated tasks with minimal supervision
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing assignments, library procedures, priorities and information technology needs
- Familiarity with Ex Libris library systems and other library software (Alma/Primo, SpringShare, OpenBiblio)
- 1 to 3 experience in an academic or research library
- Ability to gather, analyze, and report data
- Demonstrated collaboration and teamwork skills
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends
Classification/Salary Range: The Assistant Librarian is a United University Professions (UUP) position. Salary will be commensurate with experience with an outstanding benefits package (for more information please see The UUP Benefits Summary)
Review of applications to commence immediately and conclude when the position is filled.
Special Notes: This is a full-time, calendar year appointment UUP Position Fair Labor Standard Acts (FLSA) exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously.
Budget Title: Assistant Librarian
Local Title: Collection Management Librarian
Line #: 00583
SUNY Maritime College is an Equal Opportunity/Veterans/Disabled/Affirmative Action employer, committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. For our full non-discrimination statement, see: http://www.sunymaritime.edu/affirmative-action.
SUNY Maritime College is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its students, faculty, staff, volunteers and the general public that use our facilities. Therefore, in order to ensure the hiring of employees of the highest integrity and to maintain a safe campus community, SUNY Maritime College will conduct pre-employment background investigations on all individuals for whom employment is to be offered.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call The Office of Human Resource Services at (718) 409-7303 or email at email@example.com. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (718) 409-7350. It can also be viewed on line by selecting University Police at www.sunymaritime.edu.
Persons interested in the above position should apply online. Applicants are asked to submit the following:
- Cover letter
- Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion will advance Maritime's commitment to inclusive excellence
- Names and contact information of three professional references
Returning Applicants, Login to your SUNY Maritime Careers Account to check your completed application, check/edits your profile or to upload additional documents.
Apply online at:
LocationSUNY Maritime College, 6 Pennyfield Avenue, Throggs Neck, NY 10465
$51,000 - $54,000 yearly