The New York Public Library
Job posted to this site on March 16th at 4:07pm
Application Deadline: April 16th 2023
Career Services supports various aspects of job search and career development of our patrons. We serve all job seekers and specialize in helping, re-entry, career changers, veterans, and 55+ adults.
Headquartered at the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Library and reporting to the career services manager the career coach will deliver one on one career coaching sessions and presentations to the diverse population of New York City.
- Assists with the job search process including email and LinkedIn setup; internet navigation; uploading and downloading of documents, etc.
- Assists with writing resumes and cover letters, as well as navigating online job searches, completing digital applications
- Rehearses job interview tactics and conducts mock interviews
- Assist with identifying professionals to participate in industry-specific interview panels;
- Provides classroom and one-on-one instruction on career-specific library databases.
- Creates and delivers workshops and other career events including workshop materials, flyers, and other documents
- Assists with community outreach to promote and increase public participation and use of library services.
- Ensures patrons follow library policies and procedures.
- Provides assistance throughout the library system; makes appropriate referrals internally and externally.
- Adaptable to changing work environments and is a lifelong learner.
- Participates in staff meetings and collaborated with other Career Services coaches at BLC and SNFL locations.
- Travels throughout Manhattan, Bronx, and Staten Island as needed.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of 5 years of work experience.
- Successfully demonstrated public service experience delivering career services with the ability to work well with diverse patrons
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of using Microsoft Office and Google Drive products
- Experience in a mentoring or advising role
- Comfortable with communicating advice, feedback, and critiques professionally and concisely in individual and group settings
- Ability to recognize weaknesses and develop plans to aid in personal and career growth.
- Knowledge of human resources and recruiting techniques.
- Demonstrated familiarity with NYC organizations providing employment and job training.
- Adaptable to changing work environments and is a lifelong learner
- Ability to speak Spanish strongly desired.
- Strong problem-solving and decision making and time management skills
- Possesses industry insights and contacts to organize employment events
- Experience creating, conducting, and/or participating in community training, programming, and outreach
- Ability to interact with individuals experiencing a high level of stress
LocationStavros Niarchos Foundation Library, 455, 5th Avenue, Manhattan Community Board 5, Manhattan, New York County, New York, 10018, United States
$50,000 - $52,000 yearly