Building Maintenance Worker / Security Guard
Jersey City Free Public Library
Job posted to this site on December 30th at 3:02am
Application Deadline: September 10th 2022
Job Title: Building Maintenance Worker / Security Guard (4 Vacancies)
Location: These three positions will be located at the branches within the library system: Gardner, Miller, Heights
Workweek: 35 hours/week. Shall be required to work evenings and weekends as needed.
SALARY EXPECTATION: Position is subject to a minimum salary of $34,059.
*Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities, may change at any time with or without notice.
About Jersey City and the Jersey City Free Public Library (JCFPL)
At JCFPL we are growing to serve the increased needs of our community!
Jersey City, NJ is the most diverse community in the U.S. (See: https://www.nj.com/hudson/2020/02/jersey-city-ranked-the-most-diverse-us-city-in-2020.html). It is also the largest city in Hudson County, NJ and likely, with the next U.S. Census, to be the largest city in the State of New Jersey with a population nearing 300,000.
The JCFPL is the largest municipal library in the State of New Jersey with 10 locations and a bookmobile. Our staff of nearly 140 provides services in a wide range of languages including English, Spanish, Hindi, Gujarati, Arabic and Tagalog, among others.
About the Positions
Under direction, the candidate will perform varied simple and moderately physically strenuous task involved in cleaning and maintaining public library buildings and grounds. May assist in making minor repairs to buildings and/or equipment and other related duties as required. Patrols the library grounds and buildings to provide protection to persons gathered therein from harm, protects public property against fire, theft, vandalism, and illegal or unauthorized entry. SORA (Security Officer Registration Act) license is required or must be obtained within the first 45 days of employment.
Example of Job Duties:
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as an illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Cleans rooms, offices, public areas and restrooms
- Washes and cleans windows, Floors (sweeps, washes, strips, waxes, and polish, Rugs (Sweeps and Vacuums), May paint in various areas of the branches.
- May make minor repairs to the heating, electrical and other systems of varied types of buildings and services bathrooms/restrooms.
- Empties wastebaskets, inside and outdoors, and recycling containers. Assist branch personnel in the removal and storage of books and other items
- Distributes supplies
- May trim hedges, rake leaves and refuse, trim driveway and sidewalk edges using equipment.
- Shovels snow and spreads sand or salt on icy surfaces to prevent slipping.
- Visually inspects windows, doors, locks, and other fixtures to ensure they are secure or properly locked and have not been tampered with to prevent theft, unlawful entry, and so forth.
- Removes unwilling person(s) from premises after issuing verbal warning regarding a rule violation concerning disorderly conduct, loitering, unauthorized entry, and so forth.
- Gives verbal warnings to individuals of regulations such as those pertaining to disorderly conduct, loitering, smoking, or entry without proper passes to ensure enforcement of rules intended to protect the building and its occupants.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of use of and minor adjustment to sweepers, vacuum, furniture, ad fixtures.
- Knowledge of how to make minor repairs to heating, electrical, plumbing, and other systems.
- Ability to handle cleaning problems, lift and move moderately heavy objects, organize cleaning work.
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
- Knowledge of techniques used in maintaining order among groups of people congregating on public property.
- Ability to note significant conditions by observation and to take proper action in accord with prescribed procedures.
This is a NJ Civil Service position and the candidate must qualify for the applicable Civil Service title.
To apply for this job with the Jersey City Free Public Library, please email your resume as a PDF attachment and note the position and preferred location applying for in the subject line to HR@jclibrary.org
Please note that this role is subject to the residency requirements set forth by the NJ first Act.
LocationJersey City, NJ
$31,059 - $34,059 yearly
Application URL or Email
Submit specified application materials to email@example.com.