Assistant Librarian (Part-time) - New York School of Interior Design
New York School of Interior Design
Job posted to this site on January 6th at 2:40pm
Job Title: Assistant Librarian (Part Time Position)
Position Overview: The New York School of Interior Design, an accredited, independent institution of higher education devoted entirely to the discipline of interior design and its related professions, seeks an individual to serve as an Assistant Librarian. Reporting to the Director of the Library, the Assistant Librarian supports the day-to day operations of the Library’s public services and the two materials libraries. S/he is an integral part of the Library’s public services team for providing instructional, reference, and circulating services to library users. During the closing shifts and in the absence of the Senior Librarian, s/he manages the Library’s circulation and reference desk and supervises student workers. The Assistant Librarian performs a variety of system maintenance tasks, such as updating the Library’s website and online subject guides and maintaining other electronic tools and platforms pertaining to public services. S/he may need to perform tasks and projects related to the NYSID Archives & Special Collections.
- Assist the Librarian with the operations of circulation and reference services and delivering library instruction sessions to NYSID students, faculty and staff; answer reference queries and help patrons locate items and resources in the library and archives, and through online databases.
- Manage the day-to-day public services operations and supervise student workers during closing shifts and in the absence of the Senior Librarian.
- Assist the Senior Librarian to manage the two materials libraries on the main campus and at the Graduate Center.
- Assist the Senior Librarian to coordinate the schedule and content of the Library’s instruction program; conduct any library instruction sessions assigned within his/her schedule.
- Working with other librarians, update the Library’s website and online subject guidelines on a regular basis to ensure the accuracy and currency of the information and content represented on those online platforms.
- Resolve technical issues related to the Library’s online resources.
- Working with other librarians, actively explore and implement new library/information technologies pertaining to the Library’s public and instructional services.
- Perform tasks and projects related to the NYSID Archives & Special Collections on an as-needed basis.
- Other duties, projects and activities as may become necessary.
MLS from an ALA-accredited institution (candidates pursuing an MLS degree at an ALA-accredited institution will also be considered). Bachelors in art history, fine arts, design, or architecture preferred. Some circulation and reference experience in an academic and research library environment highly desirable. Experience using an integrated library system, particularly its circulation module, desirable. Former teaching or library instruction experience highly desirable. Proficiency in WordPress, LibGuides, Omeka, and other library and information technologies pertaining to library public and instructional services. Strong technical skills of evaluating and employing a variety of new Web tools, systems platforms, and social media channels to facilitate and promote library services and operations. Proficiency in MS Office Suite, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Excellent oral and written communication skills for lectures, presentations, and working with library/archives users and staff. Professional committee memberships/activities in related organizations, such as ARLIS/NA, VRA, AASL, ALA, or ACRL, desirable. Ability to work independently, be flexible, have high attention to detail; a proactive problem solver. Friendly, with strong service orientation and good people skills. A commitment to user-oriented library services. General knowledge of art, architecture, and design research resources preferred. Ability to perform physical activities associated with library collections.
This is a 1-year renewable appointment. 16 - 17 hours per week work schedule. Required to cover evening and/or weekend hours during the academic year.
Salary Range: $20-25/hour
New York School of Interior Design is an AA/EOE employer.
Submit resume including salary requirements to:
Human Resources Office
New York School of Interior Design
170 East 70th Street
New York, NY 10021
Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply
Submit specified application materials to email@example.com.