Assistant Librarian (Part-Time)
The Center for Fiction
Job posted to this site on September 21st at 11:46pm
Application Deadline: October 3rd 2022
Title: Assistant Librarian (Part-time, 25 hours per week, Weekends and Evenings)
Overview: The Center for Fiction, founded in 1820 as the Mercantile Library, is the only organization in the United States devoted solely to the vital art of fiction. The mission of The Center is to encourage people to read and value fiction and to support and celebrate its creation and impact. In February 2019, we opened the doors to our new building in Downtown Brooklyn, creating a home for NYC’s literary community. Our library collection has been in existence since our founding and continues to be a thriving part of our nonprofit. We are a membership library with a collection of literary fiction, mystery and suspense novels, and nonfiction titles about fiction. The Assistant Librarian will be involved in all facets of library operations and will be essential support staff for the Head Librarian. This is a wonderful opportunity for those looking for long-term part-time work in a dynamic, unique library setting. Candidates must have an MLS degree or be in the final stages of their MLS degree program.
Description Details: Reports directly to the Head Librarian and works in the daily maintenance of library operations. Working closely with Head Librarian, tasks will include:
- Perform collection maintenance tasks including collection development, weed onsite collection, process new acquisitions
- Process member requests, provide readers advisory, staff reference desk
- Collect and analyze library statistics, identify catalog record maintenance needs
- Act as liaison between Center for Fiction members and management
- Process and maintain new and renewal membership materials
- Communicate with Center for Fiction members regarding library matters
- Assist in supervision and scheduling of library interns
- Open/close the library and member space
- Works in collaboration with other Center staff as needed on events and special projects
Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication, attention to detail, able to work independently on assigned tasks and work collaboratively with others, customer service skills, proficiency with Google Suite, Microsoft Office, interest in and knowledge of literary fiction. Previous library experience a bonus. MLS preferred but advanced library school students will be considered.
Please note: This is a part-time, onsite position. Our location is in Downtown Brooklyn.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
LocationThe Center for Fiction, 15 Lafayette Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11215
Application URL or Email
Submit specified application materials to email@example.com.