The Metropolitan Opera
Job posted to this site on July 6th at 11:03am
Application Deadline: August 7th 2022
The Archives Director oversees the Met’s collections of documents, photography, costumes, artwork, and other artifacts from its 139-year history. This includes responsibility for proper archival methods of categorization, organization, and conservation. The Archives Director will be expected to focus on the development of a plan for digitizing the existing collections and develop strategies for organizing born-digital assets that are currently accumulating. Familiarity with digital platforms suitable for institutional archives and experience of managing digitization projects are important priorities. The Archives Director is responsible for a team of two full-time staff and a team of volunteers.
- Oversight and organization of historically significant records.
- Collaboration with other internal departments and external users who require archives as an information resource.
- Management of departmental budget.
- Creation of a prioritized plan to digitize the collection incorporating recommendations on platforms required, accessibility needs and staffing requirements.
- Assist in writing funding proposals relevant to the archive, including the digitization project.
- Collaborate with Met internal teams and necessary consultants on Archive exhibitions, presentations, and website content.
- Establish best practices for professional archival management and conservation methods.
- Facilitate and guide research by academics, journalists, and writers.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Advanced Degree in Archival or Library Science
- Experience in working with digitized collection management for an institution
- Strong analytical, verbal, written communication, and interpersonal skills. Presentation skills preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team of staff and volunteers.
- Familiarity with opera
- The Metropolitan Opera is a performance venue that requires employees working in the building to be fully vaccinated. Due to the nature of this role, you must be fully vaccinated and receive a COVID-19 booster shot, if you are eligible, at the time your employment is scheduled to start.
- Archives are in an enclosed space beneath the stage of the opera house and contain a climate -controlled room, rolling shelves and a separate office for the Archives Director
- Some bending will be required to access shelves plus occasional lifting of boxes of materials
The Metropolitan Opera believes that diversity is critical to our success and growth as a leading performing arts institution and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
The Metropolitan Opera is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and existing employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, citizenship status, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
LocationNew York City
$95,000 - $130,000 yearly