Adjunct Data Services Specialist
New York University
Job posted to this site on September 14th at 1:16pm
Application Deadline: October 14th 2022
The New York University Division of Libraries is seeking an Adjunct Data Services Specialist to join our Data Services department for the fall 2022 semester. Data Services serves a wide range of faculty, students, researchers, and university staff at New York University, and our consulting and teaching provide fulfilling partnerships with the community on the research endeavor. This is an exciting opportunity to join the world-class NYU Libraries community as we advance our mission and values. This position will provide teaching, consultations, and support to researchers looking to find data sources and manage them as part of their research workflow.
The Adjunct Data Services Specialist will split their time between a number of core duties:
- Responding to requests for assistance with finding data sources, helping to facilitate access to those sources, or understanding NYU data resources that we license for research use
- Advising researchers on good research data management practices and responding to requests for consultations or information on how best to handle data
This position requires 10-20 hours per week, with a mix of onsite and remote work. Consultations are generally conducted during Data Services general business hours (Mon - Fri 12pm - 6pm), with more flexibility for completing emailed request responses within the 1-3 day turnaround period. For in-person consultations, Data Services is located at the Washington Square Campus in Manhattan.
- MA in relevant field or ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS
- Demonstrated strong researcher-support skills
- Experience conducting searches for data sources, understanding of data analysis techniques and processes
- Knowledge of at least one software typically used for statistical, geospatial, qualitative analysis, or data visualization. Examples include (but are not limited to) R, SAS, SPSS, ArcGIS, Tableau, Atlas.ti, and Python
- Previous experience in a data reference, data finding, and/or research data management service role
- Familiarity with data repositories and public data sourced used by researchers
- Experience providing in-person or online instruction
- Knowledge of current best data-management standards and practices for researchers
- Experience supporting researchers by reviewing data management plans for grant agencies
We would love to hear from you! Please submit your resume and a short cover letter. Please detail your scheduling preferences, including the days and times you would prefer in 5-hour blocks Mon - Fri 9am - 2pm, 1pm - 6pm or 3pm - 8p.
LocationNew York, New York