Hospital Library Services Program
The METRO Hospital Library Services Program (HLSP) supports the work of more than 65 hospital and medical center libraries in New York City and Westchester County. We seek to develop, enhance, and improve the delivery of healthcare information between member libraries and health care professionals. We use outreach and targeted support to make sure that local hospital and medical center libraries apply for any grants for which they are eligible.
METRO services to hospital and medical center libraries include:
- Information about grants and other funding opportunities
- Continuing education, including courses offering Medical Library Association credits
- An annual conference session focused on current issues related to health and medical library issues
- Free or discounted access to databases
The NYS HLSP guidelines may be found here.
METRO distributes funds from the New York State Library to support acquisitions, technology upgrades and interlibrary loan services for hospital libraries.
Collection Development Grants
Collection development grants are available to METRO’s Hospital Library Service Program members. Grant amounts are based on funding
available, established need, and current expenditure levels. The Collection Development grant may be used by HLSP member libraries to
purchase either online or print materials that grow and support their local collections.
Applications are currently open, and the deadline for this grants is Friday, December 21, 2018.
Each year, METRO receives funding to support technology needs in hospital libraries. Grants are available to members of METRO’s Hospital Library Services Program. Applications are reviewed by an ad-hoc committee drawn from the HLSP Advisory Council.
The next application cycle opens Winter 2018.
Medical Information Service Program Grants
Medical Information Service Program grants are available to subsidize costs associated with interlibrary loans involving medical and health related materials. Grants are available to medical or hospital libraries, though other libraries may also be eligible to have the cost of its health-related interlibrary loans subsidized if the National Library of Medicine (NLM) or a Document Delivery Providers (DDP’s) provided them. Grant funding is based, in part, on Docline interlibrary loan statistics.
The MISP Grant application is now closed.
- Beth Israel Medical Center, Phillips Library
- Brookdale Hospital Medical Center, Schwartz Medical Library
- Brooklyn Hospital
- Calvary Hospital, Medical Library
- Columbia University, Long Health Sciences Library
- Coney Island Hospital, Fink Memorial Library
- Elmhurst Hospital Center, Medical Library
- Flushing Hospital Medical Center, Medical Library
- Coler-Goldwater Memorial Hospital, Health Sciences Library
- Hospital for Joint Diseases Orthopaedic Institute, Herman Robbins Medical Library
- Hospital for Special Surgery, Kim Barrett Memorial Library
- Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, Medical Library
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center, Medical Library
- Lawrence Hospital Health Sciences Center
- Lenox Hill Hospital, Leopold Health Sciences Library
- Lincoln Medical Center, Health Sciences Library
- Long Island Jewish Medical Center, Health Science Library
- Lutheran Medical Center, Medical Library
- Maimonides Medical Center, Degenshein Memorial Library
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center/Nathan Cummings Center, Medical Library
- Montefiore at Mount Vernon Hospital, Library & Information Services
- Montefiore at New Rochelle
- Montefiore Medical Center/Tishman Learning Center, Health Sciences Library
- Mount Sinai Medical Center, Levy Library
- New York City Dept. of Health & Mental Hygiene
- New York College of Podiatric Medicine
- New York Downtown Hospital
- New York Eye & Ear Infirmary, Samuels Medical Library
- New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens, Health Education Library
- New York Hospital/Cornell Medical Center, Westchester Division, Medical Library
- New York Medical College, Health Sciences Library
- New York Methodist Hospital, Health Sciences Library
- New York Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- New York University Medical Center, Ehrman Medical Library
- North General Hospital
- North Shore University Hospital at Forest Hills, Health Sciences Library
- Northern Westchester Hospital Center, Health Sciences Library
- Our Lady of Mercy
- Peninsula Hospital Center, Medical Library
- Phelps Memorial Hospital Center, Medical Staff Library
- Queens Hospital Center, Health Science Library
- Richmond University Medical Center
- Rockefeller University, Library
- St. Barnabas Hospital, Medical Library
- St. John’s Episcopal Hospital/South Shore Division, Medical Library
- St. John’s Riverside Hospital, Library
- St. Luke’s Hospital Center/St. Luke’s Division, Bolling Memorial Medical Library
- St. Luke’s Hospital/Roosevelt Division, Medical Library
- St. Vincent’s Manhattan
- St. Vincent’s Staten Island
- Staten Island University Hospital, Medical Library
- SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn, Medical Research Library
- Weill Medical College of Cornell University, Samuel J. Wood Library
- White Plains Hospital, Medical Library
- Wyckoff Heights Medical Center, Medical Library
- Yeshiva University/Albert Einstein College of Medicine, D. Samuel Gottesman Library
For information on joining HLSP or for questions related to any of our grant programs, please contact Nathalie Reid, [email protected].