Metadata Operations Specialist
Job posted to this site on September 8th at 8:01am
Columbia University Libraries seeks a temporary Metadata Operations Specialist to support the Audio and Moving Image Preservation Mellon grant.
Using discretion and independent judgement, the Metadata Operations Specialist will provide operational support in maintaining cataloging and metadata records management. This is a full-time temporary position ending on 3/31/22 (with possibility of extension).
For more information see:
– Maintain and create cataloging and metadata records for digital
resources in a variety of formats, e.g. audio recordings and moving images,
using established library cataloging standards, assignment of subject
headings using Library of Congress subject headings or FAST, etc.
– Performs quality review and remediation for metadata for digital
resources in a variety of formats, e.g., audio recordings, and moving
images; remediation of existing metadata records, normalization of creator
names in metadata records against the Library of Congress Name Authority
– Assists with quality control, maintenance of procedures and
contributes to reports for the Mellon Corporation. Performs other duties as
– Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent related experience required.
– A minimum of 0-2 years of related experience or relevant coursework.
– Relevant work experience in an academic environment.
– Demonstrated aptitude for working with emerging technologies.
– Working knowledge of metadata tools and systems.
– In depth knowledge of metadata format and content standards.
– Working knowledge of cataloging standards and procedures (RDA, MODS,
MARC 21, LCSH, FAST).
– Demonstrated aptitude for complex, analytical and detailed work.
Course work in an accredited library school program.
Effective verbal and written communication skills.
Excellent organizational and project management skills.
Ability to work across divisions.
Experience in archival processing.