Library Intern (Unpaid)
The Center for Fiction
Job posted to this site on August 17th at 4:40am
Application Deadline: September 17th 2022
Title: Library Intern (Unpaid)
Overview: The Center for Fiction, founded in 1820 as the Mercantile Library, is the only organization in the United States devoted solely to the vital art of fiction. The mission of The Center is to encourage people to read and value fiction and to support and celebrate its creation and enjoyment. In February 2019, we opened the doors to our new building in Downtown Brooklyn, creating a home for NYC’s literary community. Our library collection has been in existence since our founding and continues to be a thriving part of our nonprofit. We are a membership library with a collection of literary fiction, mystery and suspense novels, and nonfiction titles about fiction. Our library interns gain experience in many facets of library work and a glimpse into a nonprofit organization with a special collection. This internship for current MLS students.
Description Details: Reports directly to the Head Librarian and assists in the maintenance of the library’s collection. Tasks will include:
- Catalog materials (both original and copy)
- Perform circulation tasks including check out, check in, run library and patron reports, process holds
- Assist in weeding of onsite collection, including evaluation of materials and research of authors
- Communicate with Center for Fiction members regarding library matters
- Perform reference and reader’s advisory (when Center reopens its member floor and library stacks)
- Represent the Library at Book Buzz events throughout the year
- Assist Head Librarian in reading group maintenance including minimal work on Zoom and Google sheets
Skills: Attention to detail, knowledge of and/or curiosity about special library collections, excellent verbal and written communication, able to juggle priorities, able to work independently on assigned tasks and work collaboratively with others, proficiency in Google apps, basic Zoom experience.
Compensation: This is an unpaid internship but can be used for credit in an MLS degree program. Interns receive complimentary membership (a $180 value) to the Center and discounts on writing workshops, reading groups and events.
LocationThe Center for Fiction, Brooklyn, NY
Application URL or Email
Submit specified application materials to email@example.com.