The Bryant Library
Job posted to this site on November 21st at 2:31pm
Application Deadline: December 16th 2022
November 21, 2022
The Bryant Library is in the Long Island North Shore historic village of Roslyn. Our Association Library serves a well-educated population of 18,000+ with an annual budget of over $5 million.
The Bryant Library seeks a dynamic, articulate, innovative leader with strong management experience in strategic planning, organizing, staffing, coordinating, budgeting, and evaluating the library’s operations. The Library’s budget is approved by public vote and the Trustees are elected.
Qualifications Required: Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program, and at least five (5) years of administrative experience as Library Director, Assistant Director, or comparable supervisory position.
Compensation: The Bryant Library offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience. The salary range is $135,000-160,000.
Apply: Via email to <email@example.com> with a cover letter and resume as Word or PDF attachments. Attn: Margy Ringelheim, Chair Search Committee. Applications are preferred by December 16, 2022 but will be accepted until a Director is selected.
For more Information about The Bryant Library, visit our website at www.bryantlibrary.org
BRYANT LIBRARY DIRECTOR POSITION DESCRIPTION
Position Statement: The Director administers services and programs that meet the diverse needs of a dynamic, demanding, and sophisticated suburban community. The Director recruits, hires, develops, and motivates a service-oriented staff capable of making and taking responsibility for decisions and participating in planning. The Director advises the Board of Trustees on policy and implements changes as determined by the Library Board. The Director takes an active role in community outreach and professional organizations.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Generates and evaluates plans for library services in relation to the changing needs of the community; markets the library and its services, monitors health and safety concerns
- Develops the overall vision, goals, and objectives of the library, integrating the ideas of the public, Board, and staff
- Formulates the library budget and monitors the expenditures of library funds and collection of revenues
- Informs the Board of current library activities, operational or facility changes, and other issues that may require Board attention
- Promotes, a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment
- Manages and develops a staff of full and part-time professional, clerical, volunteers, and custodial employees. Works to promote high staff morale, serves as a role model, encourages professional growth and evaluates staff on a regular basis
- Recommends appointments, transfers, promotions, dismissal, and staffing patterns of personnel; Establishes and maintains a staff manual of library procedures
- Supervises the maintenance of library property and recommends repairs, alterations, and oversees new construction
- Investigates new trends and specific library programs and facilitates testing of new techniques, materials, and equipment to improve the operation of the library
- Cultivates partnerships in the community with schools, civic groups, businesses, and service organizations
- Promotes and encourages use of and contributions to the local history collection
- Seeks alternative funding for special projects
- Supports and facilitates the work of the Friends of the Library organization
- Keeps informed of professional developments through participation in professional organizations, Nassau Library System meetings, workshops, continuing education courses and professional materials
Education, Training and Experience Required:
- Master of Library Science from ALA (American Library Association) accredited school; professional/public library certification
- Minimum of at least five (5) years of administrative experience as Library Director, Assistant Director, or comparable supervisory position.
- Strong leadership ability; interpersonal skills; problem-solving skills; excellent oral/written communication skills; flexibility; integrity; creativity; good judgment and analytical ability; broad cultural background; initiative taking; encouraging of staff development through a positive work environment
- Working knowledge of library administration and management; human resource management; fiscal management, facilities management
- Ability to identify and focus on future needs of the library, including new services and technologies and to make plans and preparations to meet those needs
LocationThe Bryant Library 2 Papermill Road, Roslyn NY 11576
$135,000 - $160,000 yearly
Application URL or Email
Submit specified application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.