Digital Projects Specialist
YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
Job posted to this site on May 15th at 3:00pm
Application Deadline: May 31st 2023
The YIVO Institute for Jewish Research, a growing educational and cultural organization with the world’s foremost archives and library devoted to the history and culture of East European Jewry, seeks a full-time digital projects specialist to join its Digital Lab. The Digital Lab ensures the long-term accessibility and preservation of YIVO library and archive materials. The Lab primarily works on digitization and post-digitization phases of archival projects, ingesting upwards of half a million digital objects into their DAMS each year. The Lab also supports digital projects across the entire organization.
Reporting to the Digital Lab Manager, the Digital Projects Specialist works on all digitization and ingest phases of projects. This is an on-site position.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Digital capture of library and archival materials according to current digital preservation standards.
- Perform postproduction on digital objects, including adding metadata and filenames
- Perform quality assurance on digitized materials
- Ingest digitized materials into DAMS system
- Track and report digitization progress on shared Google spreadsheets
- Keep current with trends and developments in the field of digital preservation.
- Basic equipment maintenance and troubleshooting
Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience digitizing paper materials for preservation
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, including Lightroom and Photoshop.
- Knowledge and understanding of digital image file parameters, including bit depth, color profiles, resolution, compression, image size, and formats
- Ability to learn new technical skills in the context of digital preservation
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Demonstrated ability to meet project deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Interest in the history and culture of East European Jewry
- Language proficiency in Yiddish, Hebrew, Russian, and/or Polish
- Previous experience working in library or archives settings
- Previous experience with photography and camera equipment
- Familiarity working with archival collections as a curator or researcher
Salary: $50,000 to $57,500, commensurate with experience
Benefits Package: Medical, Dental, Life, LTD, Pension, Paid time off, Sick leave
Position Type: Full-Time
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Devora Geller, Digital Preservation Manager, at email@example.com by May 31, 2023.
Please include “Digital Projects Specialist” in the subject heading of the email.
Location15 W. 16th Street, New York, NY 10011
$50,000 - $57,500 yearly
Application URL or Email
Submit specified application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.