Adult Services Librarian
Teaneck Public Library
Job posted to this site on September 26th at 9:45am
Application Deadline: October 24th 2022
The Teaneck Public Library has a full-time librarian vacancy available in the Reference Department for an energetic, team-oriented Adult Services Librarian with a demonstrated commitment to public service in diverse communities.
Title: Full-Time Adult Services Librarian
Issue Date: September 26, 2022
Compensation: Commensurate with experience, $58,000-$62,000
Location: Teaneck Public Library, primarily in the Reference Department
The Teaneck Public Library is seeking a dynamic, community-focused individual who is technologically savvy; committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion; and works well in a team environment to fill the position of Adult Services Librarian. The position requires a knowledge of library and technology trends, coupled with excellent skills in reference, reader’s advisory, technology instruction for individuals, classes and other staff, collection management, and flexibility to embrace new projects and assignments.
Under supervision from the Head of Reference, the Adult Services Librarian will provide superior reference service to the public, plan and conduct public programming for all ages, maintain the Library’s website and digital collections, and provide overall technical support for staff and public.
About Teaneck Public Library:
Founded in 1895, the Township of Teaneck is located in Bergen County, across the Hudson River from New York City, and near the intersection of Interstates 95 and 80. Boasting a richly multicultural population of over 40,000, Teaneck is home to several large employers including Fairleigh Dickinson University, Holy Name Medical Center, and Cognizant Technology Solutions. Teaneck was recently ranked among the top twenty most diverse towns in New Jersey.
Teaneck Public Library is a county leader in public library service, with a reputation for providing high quality materials, programming, and information services to residents of Teaneck and surrounding communities. With one of the top three highest total public library circulation in Bergen County for 2021, Teaneck Public Library loaned out a total of more than 300,000 items.
- Covering the Reference Desk, including answering reference and reader’s advisory questions, with flexibility to assist at any public service desk or department.
- Providing prompt, courteous, and direct assistance to all patrons with basic information regarding use of library materials, equipment, and services.
- Planning creative, engaging and age-appropriate programs and/or technical instructions, independently, or in collaboration with other departments and community organizations.
- Training and developing resources for both staff and public on the use of digital library resources on all platforms and emerging technologies.
- Providing technical support for various library equipment and technologies, including creating instructional materials for staff.
- Developing the library collection, mainly the digital collection; weeding and providing suggestions based on the community needs.
- Maintaining and developing the library website.
- Coordinating the Mobile Makerspace and supporting staff members in STEM/STEAM programming efforts.
- Integrating technological solutions for everyday challenges and streamlining procedures.
- Assisting with publicizing, and promoting, programming and services, through traditional and social media platforms; providing outreach to the community.
- Serving as the main liaison between the library and BCCLS technology support.
- Performing other duties as assigned for an evolving and growing Library.
- Master's Degree in Library Science (or equivalent) from an ALA-accredited program.
- NJ Professional Librarian’s certificate issued by Thomas Edison State University.
- Demonstrated experience in the following areas: customer service, reference and technology assistance, adult programming, collection development.
- Ability to communicate clearly, courteously, and effectively with library patrons and staff.
- Efficient computer and social media skills.
- Strong interest in new library trends.
- Effective communication skills and ability to work harmoniously with other staff members.
- Flexibility to assist in any department and at any service desk.
- Continuing education to update professional skills via workshops and online webinars.
- Demonstrated commitment to serving diverse communities.
- BCCLS and Polaris LEAP experience preferred, but not required.
The schedule for this position is 35 hours per week, including a regular evening, occasional Saturday coverage on a rotating basis, and the potential for Sunday coverage on a volunteer basis.
This is a full-time salaried position. Teaneck Public Library offers an excellent benefits package including generous paid leave, health and dental insurance, PERS, and a commitment to staff training and development.
Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicant must comply with the "New Jersey First Act." If hired, the applicant must be in compliance with the residence requirements of the New Jersey First Act within one year of the date of hire.
Initial appointment is provisional. The selected candidate will be required to successfully pass Civil Service requirements, in addition to a criminal background check.
Please send a cover letter, resume and three professional references in PDF format to Shinae Hyun, Director, at email@example.com before 10/24/2022 and include Technology/Adult Services Librarian in the Subject Line. Only candidates of interest will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Application URL or Email
Submit specified application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.