Job posted to this site on January 7th at 11:45am
The New York Public Library is looking for talented coding instructors, trainers or industry professionals to join our team and help New Yorkers achieve their app development dreams. This position is for someone interested in community development through education. You will be supporting adult learners of diverse careers, educational backgrounds, and cultures as they embark on their app development journey. The NYPL offers technology classes in more than 80 libraries across the Bronx, Manhattan and Staten Island. Topics include MS Office, Internet basics, coding languages, graphic design, 3D printing, audio production, video production, podcasting and more.
This position is a temporary 1-year position with the possibility of extension.
As a Coding Instructor, you will
- Conduct app development courses and workshops using Swift for approximately 15 students per class both online and in-person
- Provide consistent engagement with students, answering their questions, providing feedback on assignments, and coaching them through our curriculum.
- Document and maintain detailed records of student’s attendance and performance for the duration of the course.
- Keep students motivated to complete their learning journey
- Travel throughout Manhattan, Staten Island, and the Bronx to deliver training, as needed
- Perform ad-hoc project related duties as required
- Evenings and some weekends required
Skills Knowledge & Expertise
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years of relevant Swift app development work experience.
- Working knowledge of software development principles and object-oriented programming
- Prior experience teaching/instructing/training adults for related technology products and services
- The ability to instruct in a “hands-off” manner, letting users learn by doing
- Ability to teach in both traditional classroom and virtual classroom settings
- Extensive knowledge of Mac and Swift software
- Strong aptitude for learning new and emerging technologies quickly
- Demonstrated ability to use and provide assistance for:
- Apple’s Swift Programming Language
- jQuery, Bootstrap
- Prior coding bootcamp teaching experience a plus
- Knowledge of:
- Python and/or Ruby
- Adobe Captivate or Articulate Storyline
- Adobe Premiere or equivalent
- Ableton and/or Pro Tools
- VR/AR software and/or Unity
- CAD software
- Knowledge of New York metropolitan area
Please Note: Effective August 2, 2021, absent a qualifying exception for medical or religious reasons, newly hired employees of the New York Public Library must present proof of receipt of a COVID-19 vaccination and may not begin employment at the Library until 14 days after their receipt of their second dose of either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines or 14 days after their first dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. Newly hired employees who need additional time to receive their vaccination prior to their start date may request an adjournment of their start date with their hiring manager. The Library will consider such requests on a case by case basis, depending upon the Library’s operational needs, among other factors. The Library will further consider exemptions for prospective employees who cannot become vaccinated due to a qualifying medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief or practice. Candidates who receive a conditional offer of employment and who seek a medical or religious exemption to the Library’s vaccination policy will be provided with additional instructions at the time of the conditional offer.
- Be Helpful to patrons and colleagues
- Be Resourceful in solving problems
- Be Curious in all aspects of your work
- Limited physical effort is required
- Light lifting required
- May require travel within NYC
35 hours per week: 1pm - 9pm (4 days during week and one 7 hour shift on a Saturday or Sunday.