Branch Head Librarian-Parkville
Job posted to this site on January 5th at 5:02pm
The Great Neck Library is seeking a Branch Librarian to head the thriving Parkville Branch of the Great Neck Library. Excellent interpersonal, communication and professional skills are a must in this intensely active facility. This is a union position that reports to the Assistant Director.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Note: The duties listed below illustrate but do not limit the tasks performed by this classification.
- Oversee all aspects of branch operations
- Develop, deliver and continually evaluate and improve branch services
- Supervise, train, motivate, schedule and evaluate all branch employees; guide staff toward the highest standards of customer service
- Take lead role in providing reference and readers’ advisory services to customers
- Maintain effective working partnerships with schools, community groups, etc.
- Supervise money collection, including its safe-keeping and appropriate delivery to the Business Office
- Work with other staff to plan and conduct branch activities and programs
- Oversee building and property management functions, communicating any needs or problems to the appropriate person(s)
- Participate in developing the branch collection development including adding and deleting of all formats of materials
- Implement and interpret library policies and procedures to staff and customers with the assistance of the Assistant Director and the Director
- Prepare periodic status reports and statistical reports, etc., as assigned
- Hold regular staff meetings and handle situations
- Attend meeting[s] as scheduled by Administration
- Support and effectively implement Administration and Board policy, procedures, and core values
- Attend Staff Development Day, workshops, seminars, and conferences as appropriate
- Maintain an awareness of developments and changes in the profession through meetings and professional reading
- Perform additional duties and assignments, as requested
- Thorough knowledge of library service techniques, administrative practices, and materials selection
- Ability to grasp users’ needs quickly and accurately
- Ability to inspire and supervise library staff
- Ability to analyze situations, and make suggestions for the improvement of service
- Ability to utilize and recommend materials in a variety of formats (print, electronic, media)
- Experience working with computers and Microsoft Office programs
- Well versed in ILS systems such as Sierra and any other computers programs used in a library setting.
- MLS or MLIS from ALA accredited institution
- New York State Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate required at time of employment
- Minimum of five (5) years professional librarian experience
- Supervisory experience as a branch librarian or department head highly desirable
Full time – 35 hours/week, includes one night plus Saturday rotation. Sundays on a voluntary basis.
How to Apply
Submit specified application materials to email@example.com.