Amended Posting for Branch Head Librarian Parkville
Job posted to this site on January 11th at 12:54pm
The Great Neck Library is seeking a Branch Librarian to head the thriving Parkville Branch of the Great Neck Library. Excellent interpersonal, communication and professional skills are a must in this intensely active facility. This is a union position that reports to the Assistant Director.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Note: The duties listed below illustrate but do not limit the tasks performed by this classification.
- Oversee all aspects of branch operations
- Develop, deliver and continually evaluate and improve branch services
- Supervise, train, motivate, schedule and evaluate all branch employees; guide staff toward the highest standards of customer service
- Take lead role in providing reference and readers’ advisory services to customers
- Maintain effective working partnerships with schools, community groups, etc.
- Supervise money collection, including its safe-keeping and appropriate delivery to the Business Office
- Work with other staff to plan and conduct branch activities and programs
- Oversee building and property management functions, communicating any needs or problems to the appropriate person(s)
- Participate in developing the branch collection development including adding and deleting of all formats of materials
- Implement and interpret library policies and procedures to staff and customers with the assistance of the Assistant Director and the Director
- Prepare periodic status reports and statistical reports, etc., as assigned
- Hold regular staff meetings and handle situations
- Attend meeting[s] as scheduled by Administration
- Support and effectively implement Administration and Board policy, procedures, and core values
- Attend Staff Development Day, workshops, seminars, and conferences as appropriate
- Maintain an awareness of developments and changes in the profession through meetings and professional reading
- Perform additional duties and assignments, as requested
- Thorough knowledge of library service techniques, administrative practices, and materials selection
- Ability to grasp users’ needs quickly and accurately
- Ability to inspire and supervise library staff
- Ability to analyze situations, and make suggestions for the improvement of service
- Ability to utilize and recommend materials in a variety of formats (print, electronic, media)
- Experience working with computers and Microsoft Office programs
- Well versed in ILS systems such as Sierra and any other computers programs used in a library setting.
- MLS or MLIS from ALA accredited institution
- New York State Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate required at time of employment
- Minimum of three (3) years professional librarian experience
- Supervisory experience as a branch librarian or department head highly desirable
Full time – 35 hours/week, includes one night plus Saturday rotation.
Sundays on a voluntary basis.
Starting Salary Range:
The minimum starting salary is $64,500+, with full benefit package commensurate with experience and qualifications. This is a Union Position.
Reply with resume, cover letter, and references by 1/26/2022:
Great Neck Library
159 Bayview Ave.
Great Neck, NY 11023
No Phone Calls Please
The Great Neck Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply
Submit specified application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.