• Performs excellent internal and external customer service and library service in response to the information needs of library users and the overall community with an emphasis on teens and tweens.
• Promotes library collections and services to the public, both inside and outside the physical building.
• Provides reference and readers’ advisory services.
• Publicizes, plans and conducts programs for teens and tweens. • Assists customers with the use of print and electronic resources. Conducts training sessions for the public in the use of the library OPAC and the internet.
• Recommends and refers customers to alternative sources of information (internal and external) to the Library.
• Performs Collection Development with an emphasis on developing quality teen materials including selecting and ordering materials. Determines usage patterns of collections by assessing frequency of circulation, physical condition and other criteria.
• Monitors the public service floor. • Assembles and arranges displays of books and other library materials.
• Assist in maintaining a pleasant, inviting, safe environment. • Maintains reference and circulation materials. • Performs outreach to other adolescent serving community organizations informing them of library services and to develop partnerships for collaboration. Maintain and cultivate contact with schools and parents. • Creates opportunities for teens and tweens to contribute to the library in venues such as Teen Advisory Boards, social media postings, blogs, book clubs, etc.
• May perform one or more of the following duties: investigates technologies that will improve services; creates, develops, maintains, or contributes to the community library webpage and social media; supervises hourly rate employees and volunteers; compiles bibliographies and/or develops library user guides. • Performs other duties as assigned or required. • Schedule will include some Saturdays and evenings.
Key Competencies: • Initiative, flexibility, cooperative teamwork and modeling exemplary customer service
• Must have a MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA-accredited library school.
• Must have the ability to work with a diverse teen population and effectively provide customer service to a large number of teens simultaneously.
• New York State Public Librarian’s Certificate required.
Queens Library is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] and reference “Teen Librarian - External” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.