Bronx Community College (BCC) Library seeks a Substitute Assistant Professor to serve as Access Services Librarian during the Fall 2019 semester. The Librarian supports the college library by providing oversight of Access Services staff and activities, advancing support for student access and success in utilizing BCC library information resources and services. Pursues an active scholarly agenda, performs supervisory duties, and participates in college-and university-wide programs and committees as assigned.
Reporting to the Chief Librarian, the Access Services Librarian joins a team of librarians and staff providing students and faculty with support for access to and use of library information resources and services. Position involves direct oversight of a team of highly motivated and dedicated staff professionals and student employees that is responsible for delivering quality services related to circulation, reserves, inter-/intra-library loan, resources sharing, technology support, and directional assistance. S/he will guide area procedures and policies, personnel oversight including hiring/training/evaluation/professional development, and reporting of metrics. The Access Services Librarian will also participate with fellow Library faculty and staff in providing traditional and virtual reference and research assistance and in the shared collection development activities. Evening and weekend hours required.
Librarians within the City University of New York take active faculty roles, serving on committees and engaging in scholarly research and publication and perform other duties as assigned. Continuous updating of knowledge and skills is required. All appointments are subject to financial availability. The position is set to begin August 1, 2019 and is a substitute appointment of limited duration.
Master’s in Library Science (MLS), Master’s in Library Information Studies (MLIS), or closely related discipline from an ALA-accredited institution AND second graduate degree. Also required are management experience and the ability to work with others for the good of the institution.
Strongly Preferred Qualifications:
• Experience in an academic, research, or large public library
• Knowledge of technologies, trends, and issues in contemporary library access services
• Familiarity with the integrated library systems, MS Office, and scanning technologies
• Knowledge of basic cataloging skills
• Knowledge of web-based access service add-ons/platforms (e.g. SpringShare, OCLC’s ILLiad)
• Experience with managing teams and fair delegation
• Experience working on department/library/college committees
• Experience with providing reference services
• Demonstrated success with scholarly research and publication process
• Excellent interpersonal skills and written and verbal communication skills
• Experience developing collaborative working relationships
• Commitment to innovative and effective user-centered services
• Evidence of teamwork, creativity, initiative, and flexibility
$47,340 - $81,855; Salary commensurate with education and experience.
Bronx, NY, U.S.A.
From our job posting system, find Job ID 20765, select “Apply Now”, create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information. If you are viewing this posting from outside our system, access the employment page on our web site and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title.
Candidates should provide a CV/resume, statement of scholarly interests and three professional references.
Bronx Community College - Library Department