Foundation Center is seeking an engaging and knowledgeable team player who is passionate about connecting nonprofits to the resources they need to thrive, both in-person and online.
Established in 1956, Foundation Center is the leading source of information about philanthropy worldwide. Through data, analysis, and training, it connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to succeed. Foundation Center maintains the most comprehensive database on U.S. and, increasingly, global grantmakers and their grants — a robust, accessible knowledge bank for the sector. It also operates research, education, and training programs designed to advance knowledge of philanthropy at every level. Thousands of people visit Foundation Center’s website each day and are served in its five regional hubs and its network of more than 400 funding information centers located in public libraries, community foundations, and educational institutions nationwide and around the world.
POSITION: Social Sector Librarian (part-time) REPORTING TO: New York Lead SCHEDULE: Two library shifts per week (10 am – 2 pm Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, and Tuesday 2 pm – 5 pm), for a total of seven hours weekly (additional hours available to support special programs, attend team meetings, and cover library shifts during staff vacations and sick days) LOCATION: NYC (downtown Manhattan)
The Social Sector Librarian supports the library services and educational programs offered at Foundation Center’s New York Library and Learning Center, providing information, resources, and expertise to nonprofit professionals who visit the Center.
• Staff library reference desk on a regular basis and provide reference assistance to emerging and seasoned nonprofit and social sector professionals who visit the library
• Provide library visitors and program participants with guidance on Foundation Center resources and services
• Provide library visitors with instruction and expertise on the use of Foundation Directory Online and other fundraising databases
• Lead orientations and library tours on the library resources
• Maintain the physical library space, including organizing supply and display of Foundation Center literature and resources, re-shelving books, and maintaining library and office materials
• Update library handouts and user aids on topics and issue areas common to library visitors
• Provide on-call coverage of library reference desk during staff vacations or sick days
• Staff the Ask Us virtual (chat and e-mail) reference service through regularly scheduled shifts
• Participate in other special GrantSpace.org projects as needed
• Assemble materials and handouts for classes and outreach programs
• Perform data entry for class registrations
• Support New York Lead and library staff with reports and special projects
• Order and maintain office supplies
• Perform other duties as assigned
• BA/BS degree or currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program, preferably in library information science or nonprofit management; MLS or MPA a plus
• 2+ years of experience in library services, fundraising/grant writing, and/or nonprofit management
• Knowledge of computer networks and applications, and proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook) with the ability to develop expertise in Foundation Center databases and platforms such as Foundation Directory Online
• Nonprofit and/or customer service experience preferred
• Excellent written and verbal communication and customer service skills
• Ability to manage multiple priorities
New York, NY
We’re looking for candidates who want long-term temporary, non-benefits eligible, part-time employment. Only candidates who are seriously seeking part-time employment will be considered. If you are looking for a full-time or benefits eligible position, please do not apply.
Please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected] Please put the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line. In your cover letter, please address the following:
• Your relevant skills, education, and experience • The reason you are seeking a part-time position • Your desired hourly wage • The expected length of time you desire part-time work • Where you saw our job posting
Your application will only be considered if all instructions above are met.
For more information on positions available at the Foundation Center please visit our website: http://foundationcenter.org/about-us/work-at-foundation-center/job-openings
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Foundation Center is an equal opportunity employer.