The Information Services Division at Brookhaven National Laboratory in Upton, New York is currently seeking a full-time Reference Librarian.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory’s almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Organizational Overview: The Research Library is part of the Information Resource Management section of the Information Technology Division (ITD) which reports to the CIO. ITD reports to the Business Services Directorate. ITD provides the following three main disciplines that represent Information Resource Management: the Research Library, BNL Publications Office, and Records Management. The Research Library offers a wide selection of resources supporting BNL’s multidisciplinary research. The BNL Research Library promotes world class research by providing access to scientific information resources. The Research Library is recognized as a key contributor to Brookhaven National Laboratory’s research mission. By making scientific and technical information readily accessible, the Research Library supports the efficient an effective performance of the Laboratory’s Scientists, Engineers and BNL Staff, thereby enhancing BNL’s ability to meet the needs of sponsors and to attract and maintain highly qualified staff. The Information Specialist reports to the Research Library, Publications and Records Manager
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Bachelor’s degree in a field that utilizes strong research, writing, and information coordination skills or equivalent contemporary, full-time experience on the basis of 2:1 (experience:college) years
• Minimum 4 years, full-time contemporary Library experience in a research or academic special library or similar environment to include experience and knowledge of a wide range of library services and operational functions, including: cataloging, acquisitions, circulation, interlibrary loan, e-resources, library systems, security, collection management, training, and digital repositories
• Demonstrated ability to use current technologies for delivering and developing library services, including MS Office applications
• Must have effective team and project management skills,
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills including tact, diplomacy, and customer service
• Demonstrated communication and presentation skills (oral and written),
• Demonstrated organizational skills, and the ability to manage multiple priorities in a dynamic environment.
• Must be able to work well with all levels of personnel and work quickly, accurately, and independently
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Masters in Library Science from an accredited institution
• Demonstrated commitment to professional development and growth. Maintain awareness of local, national and international library and information initiatives and best practices through active participation in professional networks including the Special Libraries Association.
• Experience in developing, building and sustaining working partnerships and relationships with researchers and students;
• Experience in supporting science, learning and research across a wide range of users.
• Demonstrated evidence of initiative and flexibility.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively, as a leader and team member, with library colleagues
• Ability to advocate and promote library resources and services to a variety of constituents
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
• Ability to communicate verbally and hear and understand speech.
• Ability to operate a computer keyboard.
• Ability to lift, Moderate, 15-30 lbs. papers/books
Upton, New York
For complete details and to apply please visit: https://jobs.bnl.gov/job/upton/reference-librarian/3437/10448013
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor