Public Engagement/Reference Tasks for Adult Services Department: • Position requires adult collection development, reference desk assignments, including a week night and a Saturday rotation shift. • Develops partnerships, collaborations and public engagement services to a variety of community groups. Targeted audiences include New Americans/Immigrants, Homeless, Veterans, Unemployed, Persons with Disabilities, Large and Small Businesses, Entrepreneurs, Hispanic, African American and other cultural communities. • Works collaboratively with Programming, Marketing and Youth Services departments to coordinate library activities with the community and school calendars, and creates strategic and innovative targeted marketing ideas and approaches to maximize program attendance and awareness. • Solicits and coordinates presenters for Lobby exhibits including art shows, displays and tabling opportunities that represent and serve the diverse cultural and service needs of the Newburgh community.
Public Engagement for Youth Services Department:
• In coordination with the Youth Services staff, strategizes, identifies and develops relationships with the Newburgh Enlarged City School District and area youth and family service-oriented agencies within our service district.
• Creates and coordinates public engagement activities during the summer months to coincide with Summer Meals Program and the Summer Reading Program at two Library locations and within the community to actively promote and increase awareness and ongoing involvement in the programs, collections and services of the Newburgh Free Library.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualities Required • Ability to work with diverse service population, staff, community members and organizations. • Excellent time management, organizational skills, and written and oral communication skills. • Self-starter who is enthusiastic about promoting library to a wider audience. • Ability to work a flexible schedule and at locations outside of the Library.
General Responsibilities: This position is responsible for strategizing and coordinating the development and implementation of Library public engagement services to members of all ages for the Main and Branch locations. Public Engagement Librarian will work collaboratively across all departments and with all staff to effectively carry out these services. Works closely with the Marketing department to ensure awareness of library activities, and coordination with related community programs and events, is accomplished. Reports directly to the Assistant Director.
• Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program.
• NYS Public Library Certificate.
• Knowledge of current trends in library procedures and practices.
• Proficient knowledge of social media and current information services technology.
Newburgh NY, 12550 USA
To apply, go to www.newburghschools.org, click on the “District” tab, drop down to “Employment with the District” and follow the directions on the posting for:
NFL-LIB I -001 Public Engagement Librarian I – Newburgh Free Library.
External applicants must apply online using Recruit Front at https://newburghschools.recruitfront.com/JobOpportunities .
All replies must be received in the Office of Human Resources by 4PM on December 5, 2019. For further information about the position, contact Human Resources at 845-563-3460.
Newburgh Free Library 124 Grand St. Newburgh NY, 12550 (845)-563-3605
NECSD Human Resources 845-563-3460