Due to the retirement of a long-time employee, the Programming & Outreach Services Librarian II position is now vacant. Illustrative tasks and details about how to apply for the position are included below.
Summary of job responsibilities Directs and oversees the coordination, development, and implementation of programming and outreach services for adults at the Newburgh Free Library. Works collaboratively across departments with all staff to implement outreach, programs and services. Position requires collection development and reference desk assignments, including a weekly night and Saturday rotation shift. Reports to Head of Adult Services.
• Maintains, develops and conducts adult programs and outreach services to target populations, both served and underserved in the community.
• Develops partnerships and collaborates with community groups to identify outreach opportunities and activities.
• Prepares community analysis and conducts research regarding current and future programming and outreach needs; makes recommendations on best practices for conducting these services.
• Participates in effective marketing of Library’s programs and services for adults.
• Writes grants related to adult programming, services and community engagement efforts.
• Serves as liaison to the Friends of the Newburgh Library and provides program support.
• Supervises two (2) part-time Library Assistants.
• Other duties as assigned. Knowledge/Skills/Qualities
• Knowledge of recreational interests and educational needs of the community and ability to translate these into effective library services, both in current and long-range planning.
• Ability to work with diverse service population, staff, community members and organizations.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Accuracy, time management, organizational skills and attention to detail are priorities.
• Ability to schedule staff and workflow for maximum effectiveness.
• Self-starter who is enthusiastic about promoting library to a wider audience.
• Preference will be given to those with prior supervisory experience and/or significant programming and outreach experience.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule and at locations outside of the Library.
• Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program.
• NYS Public Library Certificate.
• Knowledge of current trends in library procedures and practices.
• Proficient knowledge of social media and current information services technology.
This is a Civil Service appointment. Salary starts at $53,000 but may vary commensurate with experience. Includes generous benefit package and NYS Retirement System pension plan.
Newburgh, NY, USA
To apply, go to www.newburghschools.org, click on the “Departments” tab, drop down to “Human Resources & Employment Department” and see the posting for Librarian II-Newburgh Free Library. Applicants must have a completed CSEA application on file and submit a letter of interest (templates found on web site) to: Office of Human Resources 124 Grand St., Newburgh, NY 12550 Or FAX to: 845-563-3468
Include Posting Name on all correspondence. All replies must be received in the Office of Human Resources by 4PM on February 26, 2018.
Newburgh Free Library 124 Grand St., Newburgh, NY 12550
For further information about the position, contact Human Resources at 845-563-3460.