The New York Society Library seeks an enthusiastic, flexible, and service-oriented candidate to fill the position of part-time Assistant Children’s & Young Adult (YA) Librarian. The Assistant Children’s & YA Librarian provides services to Library members using the Children’s Library and YA collection and assists in all aspects of management of the Children’s Library. The position reports to the Head of the Children’s Library. This is a part-time position, with weekend and evening hours required. The New York Society Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
• Provide reference and readers’ advisory services
• Assist with planning and presentation of children’s and young adult events
• Assist with collection development of children’s and young adult materials
• Create, maintain, and contribute to print and digital communications
• Maintain order and safety in the department
• Assist with data collection and assessment
• Participate in Library outreach projects, including Project Cicero
• Current enrollment in an MLS degree program or MLS, with a concentration in youth services
• Familiarity with literature and related resources for children and young adults
• Experience working with children and teens in a professional or volunteer capacity
• Creativity and ability to work both independently and as part of a team
• Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Technology proficiency
• Completed coursework in children’s and/or young adult literature
• Reference skills coursework and/or library reference experience
Comensurate on experience
New York, NY
Candidates should email a cover letter, resume, and three references with contact information to Randi Levy, Head of the Children’s Library, at [email protected] with Assistant Children’s & YA Librarian in the subject line. The cover letter must include your weekend and evening availability information. Applications without the requested information will not be considered.
The New York Society Library is a historic membership library founded in 1754. The Library today is open to all for reading, reference, and selected events, with circulation and other services by subscription. The beautiful landmarked building dates from 1917 and includes reading rooms, spaces for study, book stacks, a Children’s Library, and the Assunta, Ignazio, Ada and Romano Peluso Exhibition Gallery. The Library has approximately 300,000 volumes and hosts a variety of special events, reading groups, and workshops, as well as the New York City Book Awards.
The Library is open 7 days a week except selected holidays. Tuesday through Thursday the Library is open until 8:00 PM. • The position is part-time, approximately 21 hours per week • Evening and weekend shifts are required for this part-time position • Salary will be commensurate with experience
Randi Levy, Head of the Children’s Library - [email protected]