BookOps Cataloging is responsible for discoverability of all resources in all formats for users who search the New York Public Library and Brooklyn Public Library catalogs. The Music Cataloger (Senior Librarian) position creates original catalog records and updates existing catalog records for materials in all formats in the areas of music, performing arts, and other subjects as needed by the BookOps member libraries.
Reporting to the Cataloging Manager, and under the general direction of a Supervising Librarian, the Music Cataloger (Senior Librarian):
• Performs original, complex-copy, and copy cataloging of music and performing arts materials in print and non-print formats, including scores, books, sound recordings, audio-visual, and electronic resources.
• Assigns and maintains name, subject, and title access points in bibliographic records and performs authority work at national level.
• Processes bibliographic and authority data files from vendors and other sources.
• Catalogs and classifies print and non-print materials in English and other languages.
• Plans and executes special cataloging assignments.
• Assists in training staff in the Cataloging department.
• Contributes to the development of cataloging procedures and reports for music related resources.
• Maintains accurate statistics.
• Performs related duties as required.
• Demonstrated knowledge of RDA and AACR2.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Dewey Decimal Classification and Library of Congress Classification.
• Demonstrated knowledge of MARC 21 and ISBD.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Library of Congress Subject Headings.
• Strong knowledge of music history, theory, notation and a wide variety of music genres.
• Knowledge of Music Library Association Best Practices for Music Cataloging Using RDA and MARC 21.
• Knowledge and awareness of emerging trends in the field of cataloging and metadata.
• Knowledge of one or more non-English languages (preferably Romance, Germanic, or CJK languages).
• Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team to meet planned goals and deadlines.
• Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to problem-solve in a collaborative environment to address cataloging issues.
• Flexibility to adapt to changing circumstances, priorities, and technology.
• ALA accredited Master’s degree (MLS, MLIS) in Library and Information Studies.
• Public Librarian’s professional certificate issued by the State of New York (obtained by first day of employment).
• Experience in library cataloging and classification of scores, print and non-print music resources.
Long Island City, NY
BookOps is the shared technical services collaboration of New York Public Library and Brooklyn Public Library.