The Brooklyn Historical Society is hiring a part-time Moving Image Intern, who will report to the Archivist. This position will help BHS work towards comprehensive intellectual control over audiovisual materials, formalized appraisal criteria for retention and digitization of audiovisual material, and BHS-sized workflow for digitization of small quantities of audiovisual materials during processing, using the METRO AV transfer station.
BHS’s reference and user services internship is a long-standing program with a proven track record providing interns hands-on experience in a special collections reading room. Alumni of the program have gone on to hold professional library and archives positions at many renowned academic, governmental, and cultural institutions in New York City and beyond.
• Improve intellectual control of audiovisual material through retrospective accessioning and description
• Write EAD encoded finding aid in ASpace for otherwise undescribed materials
• Prioritise materials for transfer using the METRO AV transfer station
• Conduct transfers offsite at METRO
• Work with staff to transfer digital files into Archivematica
• Research and propose appropriate plan for researcher access to these materials
• Document workflow for appraisal and digitization of small batch of audiovisual material at METRO as a routine aspect of processing
The intern recipient will commit to working onsite for one or two days per week, between Monday and Friday during normal business hours. The position can begin in March 2019 and can extend through June 28, 2019. Candidates must have some previous exposure (course work or experience) with moving image archiving. Candidates should be considering a career in archives, be enrolled in, or be a recent graduate from, a graduate-level history or ALA-accredited library science/archives program.
The position is 1 or 2 days per week for a total of 120 hours. This position is funded through the METRO Studio Internship Program. The recipient will receive $1,800 in overall funding, paid in monthly installments.
Please email resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the following subject line: “[LastName] - Moving Image Internship.”
Applications will be reviewed immediately.