The New York Academy of Art is a graduate school that combines intensive technical training in the fine arts with active critical discourse. We believe that rigorously trained artists are best able to realize their artistic vision. Academy students are taught traditional methods and techniques and encouraged to use these skills to make vital contemporary art. The Academy serves as a creative and intellectual center for all artists dedicated to highly skilled, conceptually aware figurative and representational art.
The Academy is seeking a part-time Library Specialist to join the Library. This is a 32-week, academic year position, working Saturday – Sunday, 12:30 pm – 6:00 pm (approximately 11 hours per week). This position is responsible for supervising library operations during assigned shifts and weekend hours. Flexibility in hours is essential.
Throughout the year, additional weekday, summer and weekend hours may be possible.
• Assist patron navigation with library reserves, online resources and the physical collection.
• Assist and direct patrons with library technology, including but not limited to scanning, printing, and the library laptop/AV lending service.
• Maintain the upkeep of library computers, reporting known issues to the Librarian.
• Assist students, faculty and alumni with reference enquiries.
• Perform all stack maintenance operations including shelving, shelf-reading, tidying and shifting.
• Participate in the supervision of student assistants - taking a leadership role on the weekends.
• Opening and closing library as necessary.
• Work on projects as assigned.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Excellent oral and written communications and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrable customer service skills and proven success working in a collaborative setting.
• Must have experience with Windows, Mac OS, iOS, and Android, as well as Microsoft Office and a wide range of software.
• Able to work independently and follow directions
• Reliable and dependable attendance
• Ability to resolve patron concerns and difficulties with tact, courtesy, and sound judgment
• Flexibility to assist in occasional coverage of other shifts
• Demonstrated capacity for embracing change and new initiatives, programs, and services
• Strong administrative and computer skills
• Ability to lift 30 pounds
• Requirements include a bachelor’s degree, plus 1 years of relevant experience - or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Supervisory experience
• Experience working with an integrated library system.
• Background or interest in history of art or studio art
This position has an anticipated start date of AUGUST 30th 2019, or earlier.
New York, NY (Tribeca)
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and two references to: [email protected]