The Nyack Library in Rockland County, NY seeks a highly capable, innovative and dynamic Director to lead the library in providing excellent service to its diverse community. The Director reports to a Board of Trustees, and is responsible for pursuing the library’s mission, helping to cultivate community support, and leading a staff of about 18 full-time and 55 part-time employees. The county’s only Carnegie library, The Nyack Library is located in the heart of beautiful downtown Nyack, about 30 minutes north of Manhattan within view of the Hudson River. It is an Association Library with a budget of $3.3 million, serves 15,000 residents, and in the past year had circulation of 157,000 and attendance of 206,000. The library building was recently expanded to 32,000 square feet, and the property includes two other historic buildings.
REQUIREMENTS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Strong leadership and library staff management experience, with demonstrated capability in motivating and managing a high performance team, human resources knowledge
• Ability to communicate effectively with all
• Ability to maintain and enhance a welcoming and customer service oriented environment
• Experience in delivering high quality programs to the community
• Open and attuned to emerging technologies and social media
• Experience in budget development, financial management, human resources, and facilities management
• Ability to maintain facility including two rental properties
• Strong organizational, analytical, problem solving, and conceptual skills
• Keeps informed of library developments through participation in Library organizations; professional meetings and workshops
• Serves as advocate for the Library and a liaison to the community. Interfaces with other Rockland County Library directors, the Ramapo Catskill Library System, local government, and media.
• Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution
• Have or be eligible for a NYS Public Library Certification
• At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience, including at least 4 years managerial experience in a public library.
• Experience in a union environment preferred
• Grant writing experience preferred
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. • The Library offers competitive benefits, including participation in the New York State Retirement Plan.
Nyack, New York, USA
•Send resume with cover letter describing your background and qualifications for this position to: [email protected]
The Nyack Library 59 South Broadway Nyack, NY 10960