The Thomas J. Watson Library in The Metropolitan Museum of Art is pleased to announce an opening for the position of Library Associate for Technical Services. This full-time position is a special opportunity to contribute to the success of an innovative and productive art library at a world-class museum while learning and applying new skills.
This position plays a crucial role on the library’s technical services team, providing the accurate and timely processing and efficient workflow of research materials for all Museum libraries. Core responsibilities include ordering, receiving, and cataloging of research material according to current national standards and best practices, optimizing the function and use of the integrated library system, processing for offsite and processing additions and withdrawals for departmental libraries.
• Orders and receives research material for Watson Library and all departmental libraries in a variety of languages; monitors quality of order records and vendor-provided cataloging
• Creates high quality descriptive and technical metadata in both MARC and non-MARC formats for both physical and digital collections; catalogs research materials in all formats according to national standards
• Processes research material including new periodicals; claims missing issues; analyzes usage to recommend conversion of print subscriptions to on-line
• Processes shipments of books and journals for commercial binding
• Serves as a member of the mailroom team and assists with the receipt and processing of incoming material
• Collects and participates in the assessment of system-generated statistics and management reports
• Works with digitization team to review bibliographic records and prepare shipments to the Internet Archive.
• Assists with data loads of bibliographic and authority records and financial data from vendors using EDIFACT, systems maintenance, and optimization of library software
• Assists with collection management including offsite processing, withdrawals, and departmental library maintenance
• Assists at a public service desk (Watson or Nolen)
• Other related duties
• Library experience required
• Experience using an integrated library system (preferably Sierra) required
• Experience with OCLC Connexion Client and ContentDM preferred
• Ability to do detailed work accurately required
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team based environment required
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and problem solving skills required
• Initiative, flexibility and a strong service orientation required
• Experience using other library-related software preferred
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and also push or pull objects weighing 300-400 pounds on wheels (booktrucks).
• B.A. required, work toward an M.L.S. preferred
• Knowledge of art history and or related fields required
• Knowledge of RDA/AACR2, LC Classification and MARC21 required
• Reading knowledge of at least one foreign language required
Compensation commensurate with experience
New York, NY
Please submit a cover letter stating your interest and your resume, addressed to the search committee, to [email protected]
1000 Fifth Avenue New York, NY 10028