Reports To: Instruction/Periodicals Librarian
Position Overview: Responsible for managing SVA’s branch library, Library West, providing reference and circulation services, and maintaining its fluid operation. Teach in the library instruction program. Act as liaison to assigned departments. Manage Event Programming. Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
● Oversees the day to day operations of Library West.
● Hire, train, and supervise student workers in daily tasks associated with the operation of Library West.
● Oversee the circulation services of Library West.
● Maintain the fluid operation of Library West, including stack and display maintenance.
● Monitor and make available A/V systems, including the Video Game room, to students and the college at large.
● Monitor the computers, printers, and scanners, troubleshooting when possible, escalating to the help desk when necessary.
● Work to promote Library West through outreach efforts.
● Provide reference via the service desk, chat, e-mail, etc.
● Conduct library instruction classes as part of reference team. ● Create Library information guides. ● Participate in library liaison program. ● Team with Instruction/Periodicals Librarian to institute event programming at Library West and throughout campus.
● Participate in orientation and other library outreach initiatives. ● Contributes to library acquisitions as part of the collection development team. ● Occasional weekend and/or evening hours. ● Other tasks as assigned by management.
● M.L.S from ALA-accredited institution.
● Experience with an Integrated Library System (ILS).
● Experience with standard office suite of software. ● Highly responsible and punctual. ● Excellent communication skills, both oral and written. ● Independent, self-motivated worker with ability to set priorities, multitask, and exercise consistent good judgment. ● Some supervisory experience preferred. ● Previous reference and instruction experience preferred.
New York, NY
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] No walk-ins please.
The School of Visual Arts (SVA) in New York City is an established leader and innovator in the education of artists. From its inception in 1947, the College has instituted numerous educational innovations, including the selection of professionals working in the arts and art-related fields as instructors. SVA provides an environment that nurtures creativity, inventiveness and experimentation, enabling students to develop a strong sense of identity and a clear direction of purpose.
Find out what it’s like to work at SVA. Visit www.sva.edu/workingatsva.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer.