The Phillips Health Sciences Library at Mount Sinai Beth Israel (MSBI) is seeking dynamic candidates for its Librarian I position. Reporting to the MSBI Library Manager, this position assists in the day to day management of library operations and facilities, answering reference inquiries, supporting the use of reference management tools and maintaining and enhancing the library’s web presence. The ideal candidate for this entry level role will be a customer-service oriented individual interested in a career in health science librarianship.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
• Fields reference inquiries submitted by email, phone, chat and in-person.
• Staffs library service desk, maintains library equipment (printers, copiers, scanners), troubleshoots basic desktop computer issues and library equipment issues (i.e., printers, copiers, scanners).
• Serves as library’s reference management expert, assisting users through training sessions and consultations.
• Maintains and enhances library web presence including website (LibGuide) and Twitter feed.
• Collects statistics related to library activities (i.e., gate count, service desk inquiries, reference inquiries); ensures statistics are consistently and accurately recorded.
• Assists the Library Manager in delivering education sessions on topics including literature searching, library orientation and evidence-based practice to clinicians, nurses and staff.
• Assists in executing library outreach plan including promoting events and services to MSBI user community.
• Serves as the primary contact for library facilities management issues (e.g. submission of work orders to engineering and housekeeping)
• Works on special projects in support of library services.
• MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited program required. Recent graduates and soon-to-be graduates (within one semester of attaining degree) are welcome to apply.
• Strong customer service orientation
• Proficient written and spoken communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively
• Flexibility to work and attend meetings at different locations Mount Sinai Health Libraries Preferred:
• Experience with EndNote, Zotero and other reference management tools
• Experience using LibApps platform (LibGuides, LibAnswers, etc.)
• Experience using biomedical and interdisciplinary resources such as PubMed/MEDLINE, CINAHL, and Web of Science
• Experience providing library reference and instruction services in a medical and/or academic library setting
• Familiarity with Evidence-Based Medicine (EBM) practice model
New York, New York
Please email cover letter and curriculum vitae to [email protected]