• Performs excellent internal and external customer service and library service in response to the information needs of library users and the overall community with an emphasis on children.
• Promotes library collections and services to the public, both inside and outside the physical building. • Responsible for readers’ guidance and reference services. • Publicize, plan and conduct programs for children and parents including: toddler and pre-school reading times, picture book hour, arts and crafts programs, and summer reading clubs. Assists customers with the use of print and electronic resources. • Recommends and refers customers and parents to alternative sources of information (internal and external) to the Library.
• Performs Collection Development with an emphasis on developing quality children materials including selecting and ordering materials. • Monitors the public service floor.
• Assembles and arranges displays of books and other library materials. Assist in maintaining a pleasant, inviting, safe environment. • Determines usage patterns of collections by assessing frequency of circulation, physical condition and other criteria.
• Maintains reference and circulation materials. • Provides outreach to area elementary and nursery schools and community organizations serving children and families, informing them of library services and to develop partnerships for collaboration.
• Maintain and cultivate contact with schools and parents. • May perform one or more of the following duties: investigate technologies that will improve services; create, develop, maintain, or contribute to the community library web page and social media; supervise hourly rate employees and volunteers; compile bibliographies and/or develop library user guides. • Performs other duties as required. • Schedule will include some Saturdays and evenings.
Key Competencies: • Initiative, flexibility, cooperative teamwork and modeling exemplary customer service
• Must have a MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA-accredited library school.
• Must have the ability to work with a diverse population of children and effectively provide customer service to a large number of children simultaneously. • New York State Public Librarian’s Certificate required.
Queens Library is an equal opportunity employer.
To Apply: Email your cover letter and resume to [email protected] referencing “Children’s Librarian” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.