Brooklyn Public Library is seeking a Senior Librarian to join the Business & Career Center. The successful candidate should have a commitment to providing services and information to adults seeking to improve their economic wellbeing. They will assist job seekers, entrepreneurs, students, and investors, as well as individuals with questions regarding business and money management. Regular duties range from answering reference questions and developing web content to presenting workshops and performing outreach.
• Provide professional and excellent reference and reader’s advisory services to diverse patrons.
• Be able to develop an expertise in business information if not already possessing training and experience in this area.
• Be proficient in the use of all business and career-related online resources offered by BPL.
• Perform collection development duties routinely, including ordering and weeding.
• Regularly identify new, relevant resources in print and online and develop methods of sharing them with staff and public.
• Develop and maintain content on the Business & Career Center’s website.
• Present workshops on the use of Library resources, plus other topics relevant to job seekers, entrepreneurs or investors.
• Be familiar with and provide instruction on BPL’s online eLearning platforms, such as Reference USA and Learning Express Library.
• Identify community partners and make referrals to relevant community based organizations, government agencies and training opportunities.
• Participate in outreach and community events off site as needed
• Contribute to the strategic development of business and career services at locations throughout the Brooklyn Public Library.
• Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited library school; Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate issued by the State of New York.
• Excellent communications and customer service skills
• Good presentation and programming skills
• Reliable and task-oriented self-starter
• Flexible, able to handle multiple competing priorities and tasks, adaptable to change
• Strong teamwork and teambuilding skills and respect for co-workers
• Good time-management skills
• Working knowledge of electronic resources
• Experience working with diverse communities, business owners, job seekers, and students is desirable
• Experience with online learning platforms is highly desirable
• Knowledge of business, education and job information resources is highly desirable
• Basic understanding of current and emerging library technology, trends, and public library issues
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office
• Ability to travel regularly to BPL branches and offsite locations
• Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed
• May require the ability to carry a laptop & projector as needed
• Ability to bend, reach, sit and stand as needed