The Business & Career Center, Brooklyn Public Library’s service hub for the business community, is seeking a Librarian. We are looking for a motivated and innovative professional committed to helping individuals achieve economic well-being. They will assist job seekers, entrepreneurs, investors, and people with questions regarding business and money management. Regular duties range from direct public service imcluding email, chat, phone and in-person appointments to developing web content, presenting workshops and establishing community partnerships. Opportunities for special projects exist and inter-departmental collaboration is encouraged.
• Provide responsive and excellent reference service to diverse patrons.
• Be able to develop an expertise in business information if not already possessing training and experience in this area.
• Be proficient in the use of all business and career-related online resources offered by BPL; provide instruction on BPL’s online eLearning platforms, such as Reference USA and Learning Express Library.
• Perform collection development duties routinesly, including ordering and weeding.
• Develop and maintain content on the Business & Career Center’s website.
• Present workshops on the use of Library resources, plus other topics relevant to job seekers, entrepreneurs or investors.
• Identify community partners and make referrals to relevant community based organizations, government agencies and training opportunities.
• Participate in outreach and community events off site as needed.
• Contribute to the strategic development of business and career services at locations throughout the Brooklyn Public Library.
• Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited library school
• Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate issued by the State of New York, required
• Knowledge of business, education and job information resources is highly desirable
• Experience working with diverse communities, business owners, job seekers, and students is desirable
• Willingness to learn and encourage others to learn
• Experience with online learning platforms is highly desirable
• Familiarity with navigating and demonstrating electronic resources and internet resources
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Excellent communication and customer service skills
• Good presentation and programming skills
• Reliable and task-oriented self-starter
• Strong teamwork and teambuilding skills and respect for co-workers
• Good time-management skills
• Understanding of current and emerging library technology, trends and public library issues
• May require the ability to carry a laptop & projector as needed; ability to travel to BPL branches and offsite locations
• Some evening and weekend work.
Click on position title & apply online.
10 Grand Army Plaza, Brooklyn, NY 11238